Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garritan Pro Orchestra 4 Vs. Motu?

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by the_essential_form, Feb 22, 2011.

1. the_essential_form

the_essential_form New Member

I am pretty new to all this, and have a quick question regarding Symphonic plugins. At my school we write, film, direct, produce ETC a movie out senior year as part of a Fine Arts Class. I am in charge of Music, and am responsible for an original score. So far I have been using the garage band symphony jam pack (It's the only one we have up at school) but am seriously wanting an upgrade...

The two options that I have come across so far is Garritan Pro Orchestra 4, or Motu Symphony. Which one would people with more experience recommend? or is there a better option for that price range? Thanks!
  3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Both will be a huge improvement over GB. I've only seen one direct comparison and Garritan came out better. But you will probably find that to do orchestration of this sort, you will need several different libraries.
  4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

MSI costs more but comes with an 8 GB library.
    GPO costs less but comes with what looks like about a 3.5 GB library.

MSI hasn't been updated in quite some time.
    GPO seems to have a more active development cycle.

I have MSI and find the interface to be very attractive and easy to use in terms of routing individual outputs, and setting up key switching. The included historical instruments are interesting.

But GPO is a more visible product that always seems to garner praise for what it is.

Either product is suitable for students (and for pros who want some orchestral "color" in their productions).

Given the economic climate, a lower price is hard to argue with.

In this price range (@ $149 for GPO and $279 for MSI), there are no alternatives.

You can purchase ala carte here:

But cost will add up pretty quickly.
    I also use Kirk Hunter Diamond and Concert Strings and find the quality satisfying given what I paid for the EXS24 versions.
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

The OP referred to Garritan Pro, not Garritan Personal. But I like GPO anyway, especially now they've moved away from the NI interface.
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Isn't Garritan Pro discontinued?

As far as I can tell there are no current links for Pro.
  7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Maybe. But that's what the OP asked about.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I guess I didn't realize there was ever a Pro version so seeing "Garritan" was automatically interpreted as GPO.

I stand corrected.

9. the_essential_form

the_essential_form New Member

Thank you for the input! I think I am going to go with Garritan...The lower price is hard to ignore. And my skill does not yet garner the need for an 8 gig library haha.
  10. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

You know that GPO is available to you at an academic price, and that the edu license allows up to 4 installs?

email me directly for details...