Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giga Lives!

Discussion in 'Music Creation' started by georgelegeriii, Apr 2, 2009.

1. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

3. Wade

Wade New Member

Good news. But being me, I just wanted to talk about the first line of the press release :)

"TEAC is the world leader in recording technology and started the project studio revolution."

I don't believe the first part of the statement, and I query the second. Did TEAC start any kind of studio recording revolution? I accept I may just not know about it, not having lived as long as some folks here, but I'm gonna take a punt it's not true either. When I think of TEAC I think mostly of their cheap VCRs and blank tapes.

4. Howard W

Howard W Member

I don't know if you would say they are the leader in recording technology but they did have a lot of firsts. One of them being the A-3340 4 track reel to reel
    (sound on sound) tape deck. It was the first piece of "professional" recording gear I owned. We recorded several sessions that were used on both PBS and NPR and a couple of early albums using the 3340 so I'd say Teac did have a big hand in the "project studio revolution".

Also, Teac/Tascam developed the "Portastudio" cassette concept that was widely copied. I had a Teac A-3340 in the mid-late seventies, it wasn't long after that the first Portastudios came out.

As for recording technology, Gigastudio with it's real-time disk streaming was way ahead of the curve, it's still a viable format years later, and apparently.... not dead yet.

Howard

5. Wade

Wade New Member

Thanks for the info.