1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps gio/midi controller and mainstage

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by shednz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. shednz

shednz New Member

Hi all I am wanting to control loopback in a live situation with a gio or something similar and am wondering if I am able to record one loop - pause/stop it - record a different loop on another channel strip then trigger them at different times in the song - all from the foot controller. I am a noobie so please forgive if this is obvious - keen to know before I bother buying a midi foot controller. Cheers:)
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

It's possible. You need to map your buttons on the GiO accordingly. Think a little outside the box in that while the GiO has obvious transport buttons, they can be mapped to anything, conversely, the "stompbox" buttons can be assigned to transport controls - it's all up to you.

The GiO has a total of 12 buttons to map to your heart's content. Might figure three or four needed per Loopback plug-in.
  4. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Interestingly, I just wrote a review of the GiO for Electronic Musician (no idea when it will appear) and for it, I did some GiO mainstage programming. One of the GiO's strengths, as Doug noted, is that it's very programmable. One of it's weaknesses, however, is that it offers very little feedback. So for example, you could program the GiO to do what you want, but depending on the setup, you might find it difficult to "eye" what channel strip you are on.

If you stuck to 5 channel strips and "hardwire" a pedal button to a channel strip that would help, but if you wanted to switch between 7 channel strips using the 5 buttons and the back/forward buttons, you'd have very little display feedback from the pedal to help you.