1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group Fades (This is nothing new)

Discussion in 'Logic Wishlist' started by mjh45, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mjh45

mjh45 New Member

Do you want me to say it? Ok, I'll say it... WHY CAN'T LOGIC BE MORE LIKE PRO TOOLS!?
    There I said it. And all I really mean and want is the ability to group tracks
    and use the marquee tool to fade them all at the same time. Not some guess in the inspector window on how many milliseconds, etc.. And i'm not talking about crossfades- specifically group fade outs and fade in.
    Logic's introduction of the Marquee tool (whatever year that was) went a long way to satisfy former pro tools jockeys.
    What is so hard about this? The software seems to do everything and more.
    Is this rocket science? Is this some code thing that I don't get? Really..WTH?
    I've seen a million threads on this: make an aux channel, etc.. I don't want to make an aux channel, I've already got 60 tracks in my arrange window- why do i want to clutter it more?
    Does anyone on here actually have pull with the Apple folk? Does this "wishlist" really mean anything or is it just philosophical waxing?
    Sorry for the rant.

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Man, you THINK too much like Protools...

Logic makes things very simple: select the audio regions you want fades on, go into the inspector, see the fades there, on is fade in and the other fade out. Change the number from 0, you get a fade, say 5 samples, 5 ms, you can adjust the curves, blah blah blah...

I wish Protools was more like Logic: dsp efficient, great VI's built in, able to actually create and edit midi data with ease... on and on...

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Did you consider working at the Mixer level instead?
    Some tasks are better suited to use different editor, in the case you mention, it looks more appropriate to use the Mixer one than the Arrange window...
    You would surely find very interesting to read in the Logic Pro 9 User Manual from p.761 on...

5. JoeyJoel

JoeyJoel New Member

Simple, when you know how...

As an expert in a couple of other fields, I well know the issues of guys with experience, who look at a novice, and tell them how simple it all is. I don't think Logic is simple at all. I've worked GB, Cakewalk Sonar Producer, Final Cut, Peak Pro, Amadaus. I've also jumped out of airplanes, surfed big waves, and fought mma. You arm chair warriors, wanna go a few rounds?

Hey, it's simple... just don't get hit.

My point is, each program has it's own issues, and each person has their learning curve. To condescend to someone who is having difficulty, is not a nice thing. Some senior guys seem to enjoy 'lording' over the lesser experienced.

I have not been able to do a fade either, and I'm not a novice. Why they do not have a manual fade, is odd to me. I've watched tutorials, and followed instructions, no luck yet. I even got the yellow lines up, but the little 'balls' on the lines don't appear. I'm missing something, I'll get it sooner or later. But, simple, it is not. Once learned, I'll think it is simple too... but I will also remember how it felt to be a novice.

Hey, in boxing their are only five punches, thats all. Why not just learn them five little punches, and jump into the ring.

Five punches, thats not much. It's Simple, right?

6. georgelegeriii

When someone comes onto the LUG and makes a statement that Logic should be more like Protools... what do you expect than for people to:
    A) Make them aware that Logic has a different mind set to Protools... if you want to work like Protools, then USE Protools, and
    B) Logic is actually pretty easy if you don't try and shoehorn it into another work method. It's like when my DP friends try and get me to use DP. The way it works is very foreign to me, and it feels very challenging to use, because I "think like Logic", rather than take the last almost 20 years of Logic experience and toss it away.

So if you want to come to the LUG and complain about Logic and how it works, expect to get a little flack from some of us.

There are 2 people who come to the LUG that I have a hard time with: newbies who don't read the manual at all and ask for help (the lazy MF's), or people who come from another platform and complain about how Logic should be like their other DAW.

The people who come here and ask for help after trying to resolve the issue, and seem to really need help, well you can ask a few about how far this old timer has gone to help someone out, for nothing more than the pleasure of being of service to another fellow Lugger.

If you wanna go a few rounds (like bringing up a thread from a couple of moths ago and using it to try and instigate some kind of an argument) go somewhere else. We have people who can use our help and efforts, and I'd rather be working with them...

7. mjh45

mjh45 New Member

I think it's hysterical how defensive some people get over
    "their daw."
    It's just a friggin software program!

Presumably we are engineers & composers FIRST.
    We are not identified by software.

Having said that I merely asked why won't
    Logic allow group fades like pro tools, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonic Solutons, etc....
    It's as basic as copy and paste.
    The answer I got was "use the inspector - type in a numerical value, etc...."
    That is just crap.
    Don't tell me how to adjust my workflow.

Funny thing is I posted this like a year ago....
    Since then I've moved on....
    I suggest you all do as well

8. JoeyJoel

JoeyJoel New Member

Hi George,

I hope this finds you well.

I think you mis-read the spirit of what I said. I do understand you, and agree. I was making a distinction. It is pretty true when you get used to something, it becomes easier, second nature. One does not alway remember the angst of the newbie... lol, who wants to remember the stress. I'm still struggling with Logic, and I read the manual. I must be missing something. I got the little yellow, lines, but could not move them. I got the lines once. For some reason, it is not easy for me. As yet, I have not asked anything, I like the challenge of figuring it out on my own.

You say, if you want it to work like protools, then get protools. I got the feeling that was an expression of frustration. Each program does certain things a bit differently, and unique to that program. Taking that line of thought, that there are aspects of some programs that are easier to access, or work more harmonious with someone's psychology, I made the comment I did.

If I came off as aggressive, such was not my intention. I thought the boxing example was pretty cool.. lol, only five punches, and an infinite variety of combinations. But then, that is from my perception.

Take care, and the best to you.

If you're gonna be in Long Beach this week, I'm playing a club down here. Send me a note,and I'll tell you where.

Best,

J

9. georgelegeriii

The answer given to your question is how Logic works, so if you want to work in Logic, you have to change your workflow, simple as that. No one is "telling you" what to do, rather offering an example of how you can achieve it.

If someone adds a comment on an old thread, it comes to the top of the list, and is active again. Just because you forgot about it doesn't mean it's not relevant to another person.

10. georgelegeriii

FYI The yellow lines you are mentioning is Logic "soloing" a region.