Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Group

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by edurbrow, Jan 10, 2012.

1. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I have two guitars (I think) in a group. One of them I don't see any wave form in the Arrange window, so I'm not sure if it is some kind of stereo doubling. Anyway, one is louder than the other and I want to even them up. If I choose No Group, they still move together. I was able to raise one, but that just makes the disparity worse. I can't find how to raise one and still have them grouped.

If you see the graphic, moving the automation in the header on the left of the upper track has no effect on that track but moves the automation on the track below it! Or it least it did when I first tried it. Now I can't get the automation to change on either track whether groups are on or not.
    I'm confused.

Attached Files:

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Track 26 is a folder track.....That's your problem, and explains why you have no wave form. Get out of automation mode, double click on the region and see what's inside - probably the two track you wanted to work with.....

The point of grouping tracks is to adjust things as a group, not independently. If you assign tracks to a group and want to momentarily "break" the group, use the Group Clutch menu item in the mixer>options menu. Command G may be the default key command for that.
  4. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

Thank you. I didn't even notice.

What I want to do is reset the relationship between two tracks. They aren't quite balanced. So I still want to keep them grouped, but how do I move one fader without the sister fader moving?
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Like Doug says, look inside the folder. You'll probably find that they are both assigned to the same channel strip / audio track. The solution is to place them on separate channel strips that correspond to two separate audio tracks.
  6. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

I pulled them out of the folder. I still don't get how to adjust just one of them though. Say there is an offset of 5 dB between them and I want to change that to 0dB or 10dB or whatever but still have them grouped. How do I do that? I cannot find this in the manual.
  7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Control click on the track header of one of them to get the contextual menu. Go the the item for reassigning the track. Choose a new unused Audio Track. Now they will both be assigned to discreet audio tracks and can be automated and handled separately.

WRT grouping them, you have several options. It depends what your needs are. You could pack them into a folder if it is mainly for Arrange Window editing. You could assign them to a common group using the groups function. This is great if you want to manipulate the track controls for both of them together simultaneously (mute, solo, send, etc) Or you could assign them both to a new Bus so they can be processed with common plug-ins or automated together.
  8. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

You need to figure out a number of things. This is a combination of both what Eli and I have said.

1) You were trying to work with a folder region (on an audio track!? - it will ignore any automation at that level). You need to rectify that (Done, I believe)

2) You need to verify that two guitar parts do not share the same channel strip.

3) You need to decide why you want them grouped.

If you want to edit them together, create a group and make sure edit is selected. This also can include volume, automation, etc. If you want to momentarily break the group to edit on track, use the Group Clutch function.

If you just want to edit on the region level (cut, copy, etc.) folders can be handy.

If you want a master volume and effects, routing the channel strips output to an aux track is the way to go.

9. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

You are somehow focussed on the word "group". We really do not know what this means in the particular context. Two tracks are two tracks and they are independent. Logic provides a couple of ways to edit parameters of a couple of tracks at once, for example the volume. You can activate the two channelstrips in the mixer and move the two volume faders together. Or you assign the channelstrips to a group and tell the group settings what should be common for both. The latter is what we understand as "grouping", a control mechanism.

Your two tracks have different volumes and you want them equal. There are again several possibilities to do this. The most flexible way for most situations is to put a Gain plugin into the first effect slot. Then adjust the gain for this channel and that's it. From now on the two volume faders can stay at the same level.
  10. edurbrow

edurbrow Senior member

So much excellent advice here. I'm learning a lot. Thank you Doug, Eli and Peter.