Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Happy NY guys/

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Ming, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Ming

Ming Member

Wishes for a happy new year!!
    L9 for me is so much better than L8 so my main wish now is for the text-buttons and icons generally to get
    bigger and the contrast getting better in the software, recognizing the 62% of the population wearing glasses
    and the 75% using some sort of aid, (the ergonomic aspect of it).

Polyphonic midi-scrubbing with the cursor would be good. My work-around for this is the magic Pause-button.
    I use Play/Pause instead of Play/stop. The difference is that in pause-mode Logic will scrub anything, midi, audio, forward, backward, you name it. Grab the play-line anywhere (you don't have to go up to the bar-ruler) with the cursor on an empty background-area in the arrange-window or anywhere in the piano-roll editor and pull it gently a bit to the left (cause the playhead is wild the first split second) and there u go. An empty audio-track playing will calm things down generally if you need it. (Set a higher divident for better resolution). Good for checking harmonies for horns/strings etc. And thanks for all your help last year (bowing.)

Happy 2010
  3. xmiinc

xmiinc Member

Very cool, Ming! Thanks for sharing this! As a former SVP-user, I can appreciate a solid polyphonic scrub ^_^ Seriously, I was about to post a question on scrubbing midi, and this trick/feature? just hit an important part of how I like to edit. Thanks again. Sharing little tips like this really speeds up the learning process for me.
  4. LVP

LVP New Member

Finally, an "ah-hah" moment on the scrubbing question.
    After reading Ming's contribution, I went to the transport window looking in vain for the Play/Pause button.:brkwl:
    Finally I realized I can hit play, then hit pause, and grab the play-line and hear everything in the arrange window.

Perhaps it might be good to suggest we notate this function as play>pause>grab play line. Then minds without thought like mine can grasp the steps required. :rolleyes:
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

There's your answer! Didn't even think to respond with that info in the other post - I just don't use scrub that much.
  6. LVP

LVP New Member

Probably because you hear the written notes with more confidence than some of us, and/or can pick a wrong note out of a mix :D
  7. Doug Zangar

Well I don't know about notes, but I do hear voices......;)
  8. Eli

Eli Senior member

FWIW, you can assign a key command to the pause function. I use the period key on the numeric keypad. I can't remember for sure if that was a default or a custom assignment.
  9. Doug Zangar

I'm pretty sure for those with the extended keyboard that the period is default. Not sure on the laptop keyboard - which drives me nuts as the key locations are so different for key commands - so I bought an extended keyboard for my laptop as well......
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Period is default for Pause on the ext. KB.
    Time to get one for my MBP. Pre-Holiday stocking stuffer:D

Hearing voices? Is that with headphones on or off?;)
  11. Doug Zangar

There's the old line - "are the voices in my head too loud for you?"

But I actually hear voicings....... honest!

And get a mouse/touch pad with that extended keyboard. You'll find it pretty awkward to (IMHO) to use the extended keyboard and the laptop touch pad.
  12. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Voicings! That sounds inverted to me. :D

Excellent advice on track pad plus ext. KB.
    Check out the quote by the woman in the lunch room...
  13. Doug Zangar

Ha - I just went to your movie link - that's a great show. I'd forgotten about that line.