1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Hard Drive Speed & Logic

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by mk3, Feb 28, 2010.

1. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Hello, all -

Any advice on using slower speed drives (5200-5400 rpm) with Logic?

I ask as I am considering upgrading the laptop (MacBook Pro 2007) drive to a larger Western Digital Scorpio model.

The Scorpio Black models, which run @ 7200 rpm, go up to a maximum of 500GB (which is the model I have currently installed in the laptop). However, the Scorpio Blue models go up to 1TB.

Scorpio Black:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=854

Scorpio Blue:
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=685

Some of the reviews claim the speed differences are negligible, but I would love to hear from anyone running Logic on the Blue drives.

Cheers,
    mk3

3. AJRussell

AJRussell New Member

I've got a Western Digital drive. Not sure of the model but it's 5400rpm, it was under £100 from Maplin (uk equivalent of Radio Shack). I really wouldn't recommend recording to it or even streaming more than 3 or 4 audio tracks from it, depending what sample size etc you use. I do use it for backup and can't fault it. I keep a handful of projects I'm currently working on on the built-in hard drive, also record to the built-in drive, and archive the old ones on the WD.

Bit off-topic but Pro Tools LE really hates projects being loaded straight from the WD. I get a DAE error and it refuses to play anything. Logic is a bit more co-operative, but starts to stutter and glitch when I tell it to play more than those 3 or 4 mono tracks (usually 24 bit, 44.1kHz). MIDI tracks can generally play straight from it with no problem.

4. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Good drives are better then less good drives (surprise!)
    All drive speeds work, the faster the better.
    And — the faster, the hotter, this may be an issue with internal drives in small computers like laptops because of other hot parts beside the drive.

5. bobdemaa

bobdemaa Senior member

I always put 7200 RPM drives in my macbooks, though it has been disputed it makes any practical difference in terms of track count on playback.

6. frankmv

frankmv New Member

Re: Hard Drive speed and Logic

I have ALWAYS used 7200 RPM drives at a minimum. You can pick up a 500GB drive from OWC for under $150. I find I can load most of my plug-ins on a 500GB drive and get credible performance (with minimum latency) across an FW800 connection.

Unless you plan on using a desktop, the 500GB 7200RPM drive is pretty much the best available for the MacBook Pro line. Another alternative is to use a 1TB eSATA drive across the ExpressCard slot. This works and gives good performance, but requires the use of a wall wart and is not very portable, unfortunately. Until higher capacity performing drives are available, this is pretty much it. HTH...