1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware upgrade question

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by beautyfish, May 11, 2015.

1. beautyfish

beautyfish New Member

Hi All -

My 2009 Nehalem Quad Core 2.66 with 10 GB of RAM doesn't want to play nice with Yosemite, and I would like to be able to upgrade to newer versions of Logic (right now I'm at 10.0.3). I'm also using a UAD PCI card and a Firewire 400 Apogee Ensemble with a 400/800 adapter with an original Central Station and remote for monitoring. The rig is good, but it's getting a little tired.

I mostly do music for television, in the box, and when I record audio it's one or two tracks at a time. I used to have a bigger rig, but it's gotten smaller over the years.

I'm thinking of getting a new Mac and a UAD Apollo Twin Duo to replace the UAD card, Ensemble, and Central Station.

I run a reasonable amount of plugs, including the complete Slate, complete McDsp, ProTools, Ozone, a large suite of East/West instruments, Omnisphere, Addictive Drums, some Kontakt instruments, Stylus, and a few others. I use some of my older 32 bit stuff with 32 Lives. Nothing really chokes the rig I have now except some of the East/West orchestral strings and brass when I really try to load up the articulations.

My question is about which Mac to buy. I'm thinking I don't need a Pro for what I do, but I'm not sure I can get by with a maxed out Mini, either. I could get a Dual 3.0 Mini with 2TB Fusion Drive and 16 GB of RAM for $1500. Or, I could get a Quad 3.4 iMac with 3TB SATA Drive and 32 GB for $2950. That's double the bread, so I'm wondering whether it is going to be worth it for my purposes. Anyone have an expert opinion?
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

I was in the same boat when recently upgrading. The main thing that turned me off to going the Mac Mini route is that Apple has removed the option to upgrade them to a quad core i7 chip. The only way seems to be with the 27" iMac.

I opted for the highest end iMac retina display with the 4.0 hgtz quad core i7processor upgrade. It's running great, but it was very expensive. In hindsight, I might have saved myself several hundred dollars and gone for the non retina display version. The quad core i7 upgrade offered on that model is only slightly lower (3.5 ghtz instead of 4.0 ghtz), probably not enough to make a significant difference at this point.