Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X hello somebody help me pls

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by neonreymun, Dec 31, 2015.

1. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

hi im new here does anyone know how to record an external midi in logic? i have a microkorg and i wanna record some stuff and still be able to mess with the notes i played in the piano roll. logic for some reason does not let me record anything when i choose an external midi track. if anyone knows how please let me know thx!

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

How is your Microkorg connected to the computer? You need to be sure to connect the MIDI ports or Logic won't know what notes you're playing.

4. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

Hi thanks for the quick reply! I'm using a steinberg interface and I have both my midi in and out connected to it. I know all of my connections are correct because I do get signal through logic and I also get sound. And I'm also able to record but only under an audio track. What I wanna be able to do is record through an instrument or midi track so that if I happen to miss a note I could be able to go into my piano roll and correct it!

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

For MIDI recording the instrument track must be selected.

6. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

exactly! that is my problem, logic does not let me record on an instrument track

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

If you can hear the Microkorg, that means you've connected the audio correctly, but not necessarily that you've connected the MIDI correctly. I have never owned a Microkorg, but all the images I've been able to find of the back show old-style 5-pin DIN connectors for MIDI. Do you have the "In" from the Microkorg plugged into the "Out" from the Steinberg and the "Out" from the Microkorg plugged into the "In" on the Steinberg? People often mistake that the "In"s and "Out"s are supposed to plug into the corresponding port with the same name, which results in the symptom you're describing.

8. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

Well actually I am using a mio connector which connects to my microkorg on my midi in and out (which are both in the right spot) and the other side is USB so it connects directly to my laptop, while my left and right outputs from my microkorg connect to my interface

9. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

Sorry the correct name for the midi cable I am using is a mio iconnectivity

10. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Hmm. So if you play a chord on the Microkorg, your transport display at the top changes to show a chord name, right? (Quick trick to check whether MIDI input is being seen by Logic!) If not, we still have to track down why Logic isn't seeing MIDI from your MK, but if you are seeing chord names, then I'm not sure why you're unable to record MIDI.

11. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

can you post a screen shot - (just before you would normally press record)?

12. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

sorry been busy with work, where exactly would i see the notes change? when i hit a note i don't notice anything but maybe my menu is set up wrong

13. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

even with the record button on red it doesn't let me record anything

Attached Files:

14. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

If you play more than one note on your Microkorg, you should see Logic's interpretation of the chord you're playing up where the bpm, key and signature are displayed next to the bar counter. If you don't, then the MIDI connection between your Microkorg and the computer is not configured. You might need to go into the Audio MIDI Setup app in the Utilities folder of your Applicatons folder to do this.

15. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

so what exactly do i do from here? Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 5.38.13 PM.png

16. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

You need to check the MIDI window - that's the Audio window. (Look in the Window menu) I googled Steinberg UR-12 and it looks like it's an audio interface, not a MIDI interface, although Steinberg does make interfaces that do both. I think you can get a DIN-to-USB MIDI converter really cheap so you can just plug the Microkorg straight into the computer though.

17. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Just to add to what sonnkeyes is saying...

First attachment: The area of the control bar that will show chords when playing you keyboard. You should see different chord names appear if your keyboard is probably configured in the AM utility.

Second Attachment: How to show the MIDI window.

Additional questions: There are 3 models: Microkorg, Microkorg XL, and Microkorg XL+
    Which model you do have? The XL models need to have USB-MIDI drivers installed.

Attached Files:

18. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

but isn't my mio iconnectivity a din to usb midi converter? it already is connected straight into my computer... my interface is only being used to to carry the microkorg's audio from my L and R outputs Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 10.00.18 PM.png

19. neonreymun

neonreymun Member

im using the original microkorg!

20. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Ah. I forgot about the mio iConnectivity. Well, if it's all hooked up right, then you should be seeing MIDI in Logic. If chords show up in the control bar when you hit multiple notes, then you are, and I'm at a loss. If you're not seeing the chords in the control bar, then something needs changing, but I don't yet know what.

21. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Your Mio is showing up in the OSX AudioMIDI SetUp utility. That's good news. I use a Mio cable at times and have never had a communication issue of Logic not being able to receive and record MIDI.

Are you able to record MIDI into Logic with some of your other MIIDI devices?