1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Help! Problems on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by wilmot, Jun 1, 2010.

1. wilmot

wilmot Member

I'm running Logic 8 on a MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.6.3.

Lately (I think - can't prove it, but it feels like something new) I've been having severe problems with logic overloading.
    It seems like suddenly I can hardly get through a single song without this happening, even if it uses only a few channels and hardly any plugins.

What usually happens is that it goes along fine for a while, with not much CPU-usage - And then suddenly bottoms out. More often than not, this happens on the second or third pass of a loop - Generally, I've a feeling that CPU-usage increases on each pass of a loop (are there any known memory-leakage problems?).

In another thread, I found this benchmark test (http://www.evan.se/logicprobenchmark/). When I run this, I can can only barely manage one track un-muted - That can't be right, can it?

3. oldfartgp

oldfartgp New Member

You may find the speed of your internal drive is an issue, if it's a 5200rpm drive. Try saving your songs to an external drive (which will most likely be 7200rpm) and see if you get the same issues. I had this problem recently, and moving the songs to a faster drive fixed things up markedly.

G5 iMac, 2.5GB RAM, OSX 10.4.11, Logic 8, Mackie Onyx Satellite interface, several external F/W and USB drives

4. wilmot

wilmot Member

My poor wallet...

I actually got this tip via Apple too - After following another tip to upgrade to Logic 9 hadn't panned out quite as I had hoped. I got this link from them, perhaps someone else might find it useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24535?viewlocale=en_US

Interesting twist here is that one of the reasons that I bought this macbook because I wasn't pleased with my macmini+external hard drive setup for running Logic.

Well, well, hopefully one of these days I'll get far enough along to actually get around to making music...

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

My situation here is not much better. So far I can tell I have almost the same MBP as you (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) but 4 GB RAM. I am on Logic 9 and the whole system went weaker over time. I tend to think that it is not Logic itself but several "upgrades" of the operating system.

A year ago I had seldom to freeze tracks but now it is quite normal again, as it was with Logic 6 or 7 on much slower Macs. Although I basically like Apple and Logic, I cannot say that I like this kind of evolution. I cannot recommend to use MBPs of the generation we have for Logic or Mainstage. At least I think that your MPB is similar to mine. I don't know how the newer models behave but haven't heard people complaining.

6. wilmot

wilmot Member

Thank's - there's actually some comfort in knowing that someone else is experiencing similar problems with a similar setup. It means I can settle down to grinding my teeth, in stead of banging my head against the wall. Only a bit less painful but much more constructive. At least I won't have that nagging feeling that I'm doing something wrong and try endlessly to fix it.

Btw I have also upgraded my RAM to 4 GB since I started this thread and (silly me) remembered that I went for a HD upgrade when I bought this mac - So I already have a 7200 rpm HD, so that path is a no go...

I know that I whine a bit, but very fond of logic - Though I wouldn't mind it being a little kinder to my processor,