Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Help with effects automation/"recording" effect changes

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by acehole7, Dec 12, 2010.

1. acehole7

acehole7 New Member

Hey everyone! I'm running Logic 9 with a Line 6 Toneport UX8 interface with 2 footswitches. I have one footswitch that I can use as an A/B switch when running POD Farm 2 standalone by clicking "MIDI learn" on the button then stomping the footswitch...but that doesn't work when running POD Farm as a plug-in within Logic. Ideally I'd like to have it set up so that 2 guitarists can play with POD Farm as a plug in and use the footswitches to change sounds and have Logic "record" that footswitch message as well, but I haven't been able to figure it out or find it in the manuals yet. I would also like to know how to automate effects changes (such as kicking on and off distortion/delay etc) either using Logic's effects or POD Farm. I'm sure the POD Farm questions are probably more appropriate in the Line 6 forums but any help in regards to the general application within Logic and how to do that stuff with Logic's effects would greatly help. Thanks!
  3. acehole7

acehole7 New Member

Just to clarify some things...

When I record guitar using POD Farm as a standalone Logic records only the dry guitar signal to that track. I am imagining either inserting a PF plugin to that channel strip and then automating (MIDI CC messages?) in order to switch between sounds and turn on/off effects within that plug-in, or to insert 2 (or more) PF plugs and automating it so that one is active and the other bypassed and then switching them to change tones. From what I've seen there's not many POD Farm users on here so I don't expect much help when talking about switching within PF...but switching inserted effects on and off applies to anything in Logic. I also haven't played with Amp Designer or Pedal Board much so if anyone has some suggestions for doing what I want with those then by all means...I'll give it a shot or maybe be able to apply those techniques to PF as well.

That's the most important thing to me right be able to program tone changes and effects switching to guitar tracks after recording.

However I would also like to be able to use my footswitches to change things within plugs in Logic while playing live because right now I can only do that with one guitar while running PF standalone...can't do it with 2 guitarists (which is what most of my recording bands have).

Anyway, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I haven't been able to find anything in either the Logic users manual or my Apple Pro Training book on this subject. Obviously I'm not very experienced with MIDI.
  4. acehole7

acehole7 New Member

Ok, I'm getting closer...found this in the POD Farm advanced user manual...

Somehow that last bit just doesn't seem like the way one would do this in Logic...logically :p but I've been wrong about that many times.

Unfortunately I'm at work on night shift right now so I can't try to figure this out by playing with it...and I have a band starting principal recording tonight pretty much as soon as I wake up after getting off if anyone can help point me in the right direction so I can hopefully get this figured out fast I would love you forever hahaha.
  5. acehole7

acehole7 New Member

I believe I've found it...the Line 6 Toneport MIDI Setup guide has a section dedicated to for posterity here's some of it. I'll try this out when I get home...again any tips or further advice are greatly appreciated.

6. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

This is indeed a great forum. I didn't know that the sheer existence helps users to solve tricky problems without any discussion. Unfortunately I cannot contribute anything to the subject but keep us informed :) Anyone who searches the forum for POD will find the posts and this is good.