Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 helping assigning faders and knob.

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by beauthree, Jun 17, 2010.

1. beauthree

beauthree New Member

Hey everyone, my name is Beau. I have been writing songs for the past 12 years and during my summer break i wanted to record a demo so i can start networking my music. I have a mac book pro 2.4 core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram. os x 10.6.3. i have a fast track pro A.I. and an m-audio axiom 49. I am using logic 8, and i'm having some serious issues with..... well everything. Let me clarify. Logic 8 is eating away at my soul. I've spent the past week doing nothing but reading manuals/forums/FAQ's (adult A.d.d. doesn't help) that i just want to crawl into a corner and cry. Everyone is explaining these complex banks and multi instruments and how to do all this complex stuff, but i can't find anything on just using logic as a glorified Garage band(with the fun soft synths.) I just want to be able to record acoustic & electric guitar, my keyboard(without the banks n stuff, if i want to switch from a piano to a violin, i'll just click it), use the 9 faders as track volumes, and the pads for recording drums. I won't be using any of this for live preforming. please help me haha. Thank you very much.

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, welcome to the LUG.

From your post I assune you are having some very fundamental problems with the basic workings of logic, but you really need to try to explain in as much detail as possible what it is you are trying to do, how you are going about it and what isn't working.

kind regards

Mark

4. beauthree

beauthree New Member

haha that is true. I'm so used to knowing alot about the music and instruments that i work (guitars & amps) with that not being able to grasp this is really irratating. Ok first thing i guess i would say i need help with is the basic terminology. I've used garageband, tracktion 2 and ableton live in the past, and the denotations of words like "clip" or "sample" implies different things when used in the afor mentioned DAWs. So is there a cheat sheet or a dictionary for logic terminology? Another issue i''m having is getting the faders on my axiom to "learning assignments". I go thru the steps, and it says assignment learned, but then it doesn't work. I got it to work once, and saved the project, but when i opened it the next day, and the settings were gone.

5. Markdvc

This really has to be answered with a well meant "RTFM".

The "Exploring Logic Pro" Booklet is a good place to start. Regarding Terminology, Page 11 "Understanding Tracks and Regions" or Page 13 "Exploring the Arrange Window" will give you some help with some of the terms used to describe various functions in Logic. It is well worth going through all of this.

kind regards

Mark

6. beauthree

beauthree New Member

haha, i haven't heard of that booklet. I read on the logic user manual, the getting started and the control surfaces support manual. Then again, it's possible that i tried to learn too much about logic and i messed somethings up. I'll read that booklet a few times and try everything out.

7. Markdvc

Strange. What exactly did you purchase?

regards

Mark