Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can I change the default software instrument behaviour?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by yavuz, Nov 25, 2013.

1. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

When I open an empty project and instantiate a multi-timbral software instrument, I get e rhodes sound and 16 channels of MIDI that controls that instrument.

How can I change the this behaviour?
    Let's say I want to make preset and make that the default instrument or I want Logic to instantiate an empty software instrument as default.
    How can I do that without having to create a template for it.

Thanks..

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

If you do not agree to the ideas of the developers you have to make one or more templates with your favorite settings.

4. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

So, there is no other way?

I was hoping that there would be some other way since even with templates I add instruments all the time and I have to reset the channel.

5. Peter Ostry

No way I know of. As a workaround without templates you can build your own channelstrip settings.

For the default behavior, maybe one could edit some files, maybe the behavior is buried in the core program. Since a while, Apple wants to initially deliver a sounding channelstrip in Logic and Mainstage. I am rather surprised that I don't get a handful of notes when I add an instrument channelstrip. But wait – the new Logic Drummer does exactly that ... now you know the direction.

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

You need to create your own template if you want specific instruments loaded in at start up.

But you _can_ have Logic call up a new software instrument without the rhodes loaded in. Simply uncheck the Open Library checkbox in the new tracks dialogue box. An empty instrument will then be loaded.

7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Part of the solution is to "uncheck" Open Library in the lower left of the new track selection box. That's the best you can do without creating a template.

Having said, I have "empty plus" templates that I frequently use as starting points for mostly MIDI, or mostly audio projects.

8. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

That is the answer I was looking for. Thanks...

9. Peter Ostry

Oops ...
    In comparison to the solution my answers sounded more whiningly than helpful.

At least I seem to serve as a kind of kickstarter in some threads, sometimes ;)

10. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

You certainly did that this time :)

11. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

12. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

In addition to what was said above, you can also make your own channel strip and then in the Library, choose [Define as default].

Then, if you do have Open Library checked, your user-defined default strip will load.

13. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

That's even better.
    I wonder if I can set and empty instrument as default.

Thanks....

14. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

Just realized no need to save empty instrument as default since checking off open library is the same thing.

How can I save an instrument along with an effect send to an aux bus and save it all together with the bus + effect. Thanks...

15. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Yes you can.

Thanks Colin for pointing this out.

But coming full circle, what is the difference between opening an Empty project with Open Library unchecked and Multi-timbral set as desired versus creating an empty Channel Strip set as default with Open Library checked on? Unless there is an instrument of choice in the channel strip and the instrument is zero'd out.

16. yavuz

yavuz Senior member

Yes I had just realised that :)

When I open some presets from the library I see that they instantiate some effects on busses and use bus sends all saved as a preset.

I tried saving as a performance but could not do the same thing.

17. Eli

Eli Senior member

Nice tip!

18. Eli

Eli Senior member

Save it as a "patch" in the Library. Then when you call it up, all routings will be loaded with it.