1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 how do i create a click that counts the dotted quarter note?

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by peterspiano, May 12, 2010.

1. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

how do i create a click that counts the dotted quarter note?

I have a measure in a film soundtrack - to which live music will be played - which is in 9/8. The preceding and following measures are in 2/2. The conductor for this performance wishes (and i think it is a very good idea..) to hear 3 dotted quarter notes clicked rather than 9 eighth notes. How do I do this?

Theoretically the proper time signature for this measure would be 3/3. Half notes = 2. Quarter notes = 4. Theoretically the dotted quarter note should then equal 3. Regretfully though, Logic does not let me enter this!

Any ideas?

Many many many thanks! I'm growing dozens of white hairs here sitting here in front of Logic!!

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I would create it by hand using the EXS 24 or Ultrabeat and recording it as a sequence. You are then also free to embelish it with sounds other than the Klopfgeist's "klopfen".

FWIW, I always use the EXS 24 for click tracks. Maybe old habits die hard ...:ooold:

kind regards

4. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I always use Sculpture, preferably the warped presets. And a lot of stereo delays and reverb of course.
  5. dennisgunn

dennisgunn New Member

How about turning off logic's internal click and just creating the click by sequencing?

Make a 2/2 measure midi region with the clicks in it wherever you want the clicks to start and set it to loop.

Make the dotted quarter note region where you need it to be so it interrupts the 2/2 region, then make another 2/2 region where you need the click to resume.

It will take you less time than reading this did to accomplish the deed I think.
  6. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Of course creating a manual click is the easiest thing to do given the limitations of Logic's metronome, but it does point to an obvious improvement that could be made in future versions: in any triple time signature, wouldn't it be wonderful to have the option to have the metronome clicks fall every dotted eighth? This has bothered me for years.
  7. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Me too.

I also have a problem with scoresets that show 12 slashes for rests in rhythm section chord parts when 4 would be much more user friendly.
  8. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I just submitted the triple-time metronome and scoreset suggestions to Apple. I suppose someone has to read these at some point - fingers crossed...
  9. posthorn

posthorn New Member

I too hope this issue is taken care of in future versions.

In addition to the click problem there is also the fact that Logic cannot display a tempo whose beat is defined as a dotted-quarter - unless I'm mistaken about that.