1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I/O Labels Work?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bayswater, Oct 25, 2014.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I've just installed Logic X, and I'm setting up a default template. The first 8 analog inputs on my converter are permanently connected to specific audio sources, so I want to apply labels to those inputs, naming the sources.

I've entered the names in the I/O Labels window that appears in the Mix menu. But when I go to use them to assign an input to a channel strip, the labels for inputs 2 and 5 do not appear. They default back to input 2 and input 5. The other 6 channels are correctly labelled when assigning inputs.

Is there something I should be looking out for to get all 8 channels to show up with the correct labels?

Attached Files:

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

4. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks, but I think what I experienced is a bug. After toggling the labels back and forth between default and custom a few times, and working the project opening and closing windows, the correct labels eventually appeared, and then stuck. They now appear reliably.

I have to say that while I find Logic X more stable than Logic 9, it seems to have too much stuff that just doesn't work the way the manual says, or doesn't work at all. While most of this is minor, and you can work your way around it and get things done, I expect a bit more from a company with the resources Apple has.

Experienced and professional users would probably not even notice these things, but I wonder how someone migrating from GB copes with it? Although I'm pretty inexperienced other DAWs, I'm not so familiar with Logic, and have to spend time figuring out out how to do basic things for the first time. Errors in the manual and these little bugs make it very difficult to know what to do ----- whether I'm doing it wrong or whether there's something wrong with he manual or the software. Without Eli's and GW's videos, I doubt I'd have got anywhere at all.