Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How do we export MIDI Tracks?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by afavreau, Jul 30, 2015.

1. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

I need to export my tracks to have them mixed by an engineer.
    Can some tell me what would be the best way to export Multi-trimbral instruments with several MIDI tracks?

Let's say I have Omnisphere (which is multi-trimbral synth with 8 parts) set with a Midi Multi-instrument object in the environment. I therefore record on Midi tracks 1 to 8 in the arragement going to the Omnisphere Software Instrument Track.

Now when you want to export that, how do you do it?

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

The mixing engineer ist not expected to own all your plugins and not to deal directly with the instruments or your routing. Most engineers want you to bounce instrument tracks and deliver audio files. The number of audio tracks, stems or not, depends on the job. You should discuss this with the engineer. If you can mix your mutlitimbral instrument(s) yourself, you deliver less tracks and this is certainly cheaper than many tracks. If you cannot do it, or don't want to, you bounce each single track to audio. All files must have the same start point.

It is an advantage if your engineer works with Logic. In this case you can deliver a project as your raw mix, with rough levels, panning, and the automation as you like it. If he uses another software, make a bounce of your rough mix as a basic guide and discuss the details with him.
  4. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

Thanks Peter,

Yes this is what I've done. My engineer works with Cubase.

My question pertains more to exporting Midi tracks routed to a Multi-trimbral instrument. So far I've discovered 3 ways:

1-Bring each Midi track over the software instrument track and export them one by one
    2-Bounce them one by one muting all other tracks
    3-Set a Multi-Output version of your plugin, route everything to aux tracks and bus those to audio tracks for recording. I guess this approach is favorable if you have at least 4- 5 Midi tracks to bounce.

Any other suggestions?
    I wish everything was quicker to export, but it's not.