Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'future-proof' Is Focusrite Scarlett

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chalkncheese, Jan 13, 2016.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Hi

I am considering buying a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface which of course is now 3 years old which can be a long time for some digital product: I am aware of other products which time out simply because the manufacturer cannot keep up with the pace of Apple OS developments. Has anyone got one that has perhaps already done the research into how future-proof this product is? Oh.... and is it any good for live band recording...

thanks and regards

3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

IIRC, the Scarlett interfaces require only CoreAudio, and not any specific drivers or software, so it would not depend on Focusrite issuing driver updates. Of course, Apple could remove USB, CoreAudio, or even abandon Macs altogether, but then nothing is future proof. If you're really concerned maybe you should look at new interfaces that work with iOS and TB. MOTU and IKM among others have them.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars New Member

Focusrite Clarett.

5. johnpitcairn

johnpitcairn Member

If you want seriously future proof I would consider Metric Halo the gold standard, with RME a close second.

6. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I backup this opinion, just one note: I you tranport the interface a lot and under rough conditions, you may prefer Metric Halo.

(Hi John, nice to hear from you again!)