1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How good are the built in instrument in logic?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by theplayerboy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. theplayerboy

theplayerboy New Member

Hello!

So I'm thinking of purchasing Logic, and was trying to get a budget for everything else I want. I was wondering how good the instruments which come with logic are? I currently use Native's Alicia Keys for piano, which is what I play, and would like to start adding other parts to my music.

Thanks!

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

No one's going to argue that Logic's instruments are better than Kontakt instruments such as Alicia Keys. But it is very hard to argue against the fact that Logic provides a complete music production environment with it's supplied instruments, processors and loops. There's a boat load of Channel Strip settings that are really well designed by pros with the intent of letting the musician focus on the creative aspect of making music vs the detail work of engineering.

The EVB3 is my go-to organ. (I have and like UVI Retro Organs. Have and dislike Kontakt's Vintage Organs)

The EXS 24 instruments (acoustic pianos, basses, drums, and orchestral instruments) are very solid and useable especially once you apply various processing plug-ins and the Space Designer convolution reverb.

The electric piano come with a ton of preset channel strips.
    Same with the ES2 synth which is a very complex beast.

What type of instruments are you interested in?

4. theplayerboy

theplayerboy New Member

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to nail me down on what instruments I'm interested in. Right now I'm working on a version of Amazing Grace, and I would really like to add about a 5 piece ensemble to it.

Another question: Should I be thinking its feasible to be able to emulate an acoustic guitar accurately on the keyboard?

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

I can honestly say that the bundled instruments in Logic are the best of the bundled instruments in all the major DAWs that I know: Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Sonar. Of course there are plenty of better third party ones, but goes for any DAW.

6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The sampled acoustic guitar EXS 24 instruments sound really good, especially the 12 string.

To make the EXS 24 or any sampled guitar sound realistic, you need to use guitar voicings vs keyboard chords. It's usually better to use no more than 4 notes in a voicing, and with larger note intervals as the guitar can use open and fretted strings. Try using the pinky of each hand to "finger" chords vs forming chords with one hand on the keyboard.

You'll have an easier time creating convincing arpeggiated parts. Strumming will take some effort including the use positive and negative Q-Flam settings in Logic's inspector. Just ask when you get to that point...

I have DP8 and Cubase 6.5 as well and definitely agree with Eli's assessment of the bundled instruments.

7. EastWest Lurker

EastWest Lurker Senior member

Most of what you hear on RedOne's productions for Lady Gaga are the included Logic instruments. At least that is what he has said in a number of interviews.

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Alicia's Keys have a feature you cannot find (yet) in Logic pianos (or other plugins AFAIK): sympathetic resonnance. Also the option to adjust the structure noises of the piano itself, such as pedal board...
    However, the quality and the quantity of the plugins included in Logic is definitely an unbeatable deal. And there is a good reason for that: if you want to use Logic, you need a Mac! A conclusive reason to purchase a Mac...

Is it perfect: no! No other software is either... But Logic is backed/supported by a giant (Apple)...

In short: go for it!

9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

You don't say if you already own a DAW. If you don't, Logic should be a no-brainer. However, if you're reluctant, buy MainStage ($30.00) and test it out - it has all of Logic's plug-ins, loop content and instruments. You can also access it via the the Mac's IAC bus to another DAW.

10. theplayerboy

theplayerboy New Member

Thanks for the replys guys.

I've got an Apogee One.