Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How many people tracking at a buffer of 32 w/Symphony?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by daveyboy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

Tonight I decided to do some experimenting with buffer sizes verses noticeable latency. I typically keep logic at 128 as no one complains and the latency doesn't really bother me or my clients. But, there's no doubt that to make it feel like I'm going direct through the apogee system's mixer and bypassing logic's software play though that I need to have a buffer of 32. That's just not going to happen as long as I have any VI's going and get into a somewhat heavy track load. So, using Maestro seems like that's the ticket for one wanting to keep Logic's buffer higher and still have a very quick response and no latency. What are you getting away with and what are your tricks?
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

You could "Freeze" the core rhythm section if it consists of software instruments.

Otherwise it looks like you've figured out the balance between the I/O buffer coupled with the Maestro setup.

You've probably already seen this:

I also stumbled across this:

I work alone and have the Ensemble set up with guitar, bass, mic, etc inserted and ready to go,... one at a time. Most of my projects are mostly MIDI using a MIDI guitar controller which really appreciates a buffer of 32. Sometimes I forget to switch it back to higher setting and end up being amazing at how long Logic continued to function properly before signs of stress occur.
  4. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

Thanks CSEye. While I haven't resorted to freezing I have been using Maestro as per your link. It would be great if at some point Logic would just "embed" this into their own mixer as Motu does with their stuff. I think they have something built in if you use Ensemble but I have the Symphony stuff.

I seem to be able to do a lot at 32 in terms of just playing back the sequence and recording an audio track as the cpu meter seems pretty low. But, if I want to record a MIDI B3 organ using Kontakt 4 for example it spikes up and distorts. It's just too much for the system apparently. This is on a song with very little going on.
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

What about recording with Logic's EVB3 instead? It might run a little more efficiently with an already dense mix. (But maybe not enough :rolleyes:) You could then insert your preferred K4 organ to do a Bounce Track or Region in Place?

What about the number of voices allotted to K4?

Logic can access some of the Ensembles settings: Options>Audio>Open Apogee Control Panel. But one still needs to use Maestro for the routing configuration.
  6. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

The K4 organ runs great but when I went to do any additional recording on that track while at 32 the cpu crapped out which I found odd as the sample instrument isn't big at all. I'll do an experiment with Logic's organ at the same setting just to see what happens. I'd love to live in 32 for as long as possible, or as long as i need to record critical stuff like vocals. That would just simplify things. It's way easier just to not worry about it and raise the buffer and switch over to Maestro for folks who can tell there's some latency. Oddly enough though, I've never gotten any complaints running at 128 and I've been using Logic full time in my studio for 2 years now.