1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How to assign a midi channel to a EXS24 channel?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by illogical, Feb 6, 2012.

1. illogical

illogical New Member

:confused:This is what happened: I was running out of cpu so I found out that 3 midi channels were playing samples from the same EXP24 preset but obviously from 3 different stereo EXS24 channels. I decided to use one multi-output sampler to play all three midi channels but I couldn't figure out how to assign the midi inputs after I erased the samplers in those channels...

Someone can tell me me how to do it? Thanks!
  3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

The EXS24 is not a Multi-timbral sampler (there was a former VST version player EXSP which was multi-timbral, I think it was provided with Logic Express as well).
    So you can open multiple EXS24 instances for example and channelize them 1-16 and switch Logic to Multi Player mode in the Project settings >Recordings by enabling the "Autodemix by midi channel" option etc.
    You can use a Multi Timbral Instrument in the Environment and patch a channel splitter cabled to 16 EXS instances too (track or channel strip channelization is not required in this scenario).

The is a little trick as well (I think I have posted in some other Logic forums) where you can make a single EXS24 instance to behave as Multi-timbral...

You do not need midi inputs or channelization when use a Multi-Channel EXS instance to save CPU.
    You just use the EXS midi track to record midi and create Aux objects (clicking the "+" label at the bottom of the EXS channel strip) to route the audio for the given EXS groups, samples etc.
  4. illogical

illogical New Member

I hear you. But what if I record a midi track and after I record in a new midi track, I unplug the exs24 in the new track and I want those midi information to be part of the other channels exs24 audio outputs? Of course without glueing them to the first channel...

Thanks for your help!
  5. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I'm not sure if I understand you well... As I said you can put or record midi using one midi track for the EXS and the midi data can use any channel - for example Kick (C1) ch1, Snare (D1) ch2 etc. Cause the EXS is mono-timbral it will read that data. Regarding its Multi-Output function you just assign each note pitch or group(s) of pitches to any audio output (Aux) etc.

The only scenario when ESX can behave as Multi-Timbral (this is my trick I was talking about) is if you assign the ESX groups to be selected by different midi channel.