1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How to assign inc/dec midi messages

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by oortone, Apr 25, 2014.

1. oortone

oortone Member

EDIT: My initial idea presented was wrong. Se my post below (from 2016) to see the EASY way to do this.

Got a Doepfer pocket Dial and thought it would be cool to use inc/dec values (CC96 and 97?) to change parameters in Logic. The EQ for example.

So I touched ChannelEQ/Frequency1, hit Command L, and turned a dial on the Doepfer.
    Parameter was assigned to the knob. But only in one direction it seems. When I turn the knob the other way nothing happens.

Guess I'll have to adjust something in the Controller Assignmnents page in Logic but I can't figure out how.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

The "Format" parameter was probably not learned correctly.

In Controller Assignments (Expert View) check the "Value" settings in the lower right area. I don't have an encoder here but so far I remember the settings should be as below.

Min/Max: 0-127
    Format: Unsigned
    Multiply: 1.00
    Mode: Relative

Format and Mode are crucial for the function, Min/Max and Multiply can be adapted to your needs.

Here is your manual:
    Logic Pro 9 Control Surfaces Support

4. oortone

oortone Member

Thanks, now I get it.
    The trick is to assign ONE knob to TWO controller assignments and edit the Multiply parameter.

Example (Channel EQ - Peak2 Frequency):
    Increment (that is turning knob clockwise) I assign:
    CC#96 16 to Peak2 Frequency, Multiply set to 1,00

Decrement (turning counter clockwise) I assign:
    CC#97 16 to Peak2 Frequency, Multiply set to -1,00

The crucial thing is to set Multiply to positive for CC#96 and negative for CC#97 and always set the CC value (16 in this case) to the same plugin parameter parameter (Peak2 Frequency in this case).

Thanks for the help.

By the way is there a way to make the right plugin window to "pop up" according to the parameter being edited?

Like if I assign some knobs to EQ and some to Compressor I could make the right plugin showing up only by turning a corresponding knob?

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Or more. You can allow 1, 2, 4 or 8 controllers for one parameter, this is a global preference:
    Logic Pro > Preferences > General > Control Surfaces
    or
    Logic Pro > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Preferences

The Min/Max and the Multiply values are unfortunately the only parameters to shape the response. In Logic X this problem is solved by the new "Smart Controls" where you have a graphical interface with a couple of editable curve forms. Very good approach.

I don't know.

6. oortone

oortone Member

Accidentally I found this old thread of mine and I might add that I completely misunderstood how to use the Doepfer Pocket Dial in conjunction with Logic. Although I obviously found a workaround there's a much better way.

By using preset 111-114 on the Pocket Dial (consult the manual) it's really easy to assign controllers using learn. No nead to tweak inside the controller assignments window. The inc/dec-messages I suggested was obviously not the right ones for Logic.

I might add, it works very well! Partly because of the excellent acceleration feature in pocket Dial.