Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How to combine Varispeed song & non VS files :-(

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Roger Jackson, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Roger Jackson

Roger Jackson Member

I've been sent some songs for mixing. The backtrack song has been varisped, and a rough mix used as reference for the vocals, recorded elsewhere.

Now when I put the vocals files into the backtrack song, they (of course) don't fit, as they get VS'd as well.

My current solution: make all the audio tracks into Apple Loops, and then just change the tempo. Anyone got better? (=quicker)

Mixing a varisped track is not an option as not only is it sluggish, but the routing (to sub groups) seems to get ****ed.

Roger Jackson
    Film Music
  3. bobdemaa

bobdemaa Senior member

That's an interesting dilemma.

I can think of a couple of things i would try to work around that.

1. Load the tracks into a sampler, get the start correct and then print the output to a new audio track.

2 Use ableton live and stream the audio from live into logic.

Let me know how you ultimately solved the issue for yourself.
  4. Eli

Eli Senior member

If it were me I think I'd just bounce out each of the backing tracks (at least the audio tracks) at the varisped tempo as new audio files, and then just import everything into a fresh project and be done with it - and not have to worry about it for the rest of the production.

My experience is that if you try and take shortcuts at the early stages of a project, they will invariably come back to haunt to you over and over again throughout the project. Call it Eli's law :eeek:
  5. bobdemaa

bobdemaa Senior member

Too true Eli, too true.
  6. Roger Jackson

Roger Jackson Member

Wise words Eli, (as usual!) and that's why I'm looking for a good way to do this, despite my client urging me to save time by mixing a backtrack in VS and overlaying vocals.

Although my initial wheeze of making the audio tracks into Apple Loops works just fine, bouncing out is probably simpler. I wonder if Apple Loops use the same VS technology to do their thing?
    Further thoughts for those who are interested - There are a couple things I had to watch out for: You have to bounce *out* of the project - sadly, no Bounce-in-place or Export will do. Second if you want mono files, then you have to change your output fader to mono *and then use the "Bnce" button on that fader* otherwise you will get one-sided stereo files. Then you can replace the old files into the same song (now with a new tempo) with the VS'd ones, to work alongside any Apple Loops or MIDI tracks that will adapt themselves to the new tempo.

Roger Jackson
    Film Music