Logic Pro 9 how to kill a MIDI region?

peterlemer

Logician
1. play in a 5-part block chord sequence (Ivory)
2. separate each part to its own track, same channel strip.
3. audition each part, they all play a single line
4. mute 4 of the tracks and solo the 5th as well as a vocal track to record vocal in unison with 5th track.
5. monitor vocalist - she sings in unison with Ivory.
6. press 'Record' to record vocalist
then....

7. Ivory is silent! Come out of record mode and that region does not play, whatever I do. The other 4 tracks all play when unmuted. Same software instrument, dead region on track 5.

Relaunch Logic; restart Mac; track plays right up until I select 'Record' on vocal track and the region is forever silent, even when the entire project is playing.

The MIDI events are there, and Ivory sounds when I click a note in Piano roll, but it doesn't output.

Even if I delete all other Ivory tracks and there's only this one left.

So I can play the entire project, all tracks open and singing, and this region is mute. ( no it's not 'muted')

Even if I switch from Ivory to Garageband piano.

The only way to activate this region is to copy it to another channel strip, where it will allow recording on the vocal track.

this suggests that by recording on an audio track, I have muted a softweare instrument channel strip forever.

Is there a known bug that kills channel strips?

pete

Is there a known bug that kills channel strips?
I assume that you haven't deleted a channelstrip which may be asking for revenge from the digital Nirvana? An Aux or Bus or something? If you have, you could try to create it again.

If the sound of the strip is gone for no reason, yes, I know this. Happens seldom, but happens. Sometimes the strip recovers when I switch to another output and back. Sometimes it works if I save (copy) the complete project with another name. And I may delete the Logic preferences, which is possible in my case. Honestly, I do random actions and the sound will possibly come back. But sometimes the strip just remains silent and I don't use it in this project. Making a new project and importing the tracks is not worth the effort.

Upvote 0
> I assume that you haven't deleted a channelstrip

correct

>If the sound of the strip is gone for no reason, yes, I know this

not solved with Logic Pro 9.0.2 either :-(

thanks for your response, peter

pete

Upvote 0
> Use the m key to mute the regions

I still use 'm' for 'matrix' ! :)

If you mean the mute buttons, yes, but I'd have to mute 54 tracks every time I want to do this sort of dropping in.

pete

Upvote 0
I still use 'm' for 'matrix' ! :)

If you mean the mute buttons, yes, but I'd have to mute 54 tracks every time I want to do this sort of dropping in.

pete

I presume George is referring to the Key Command to (slow) Mute selected Regions (which also saves CPU power). The Channel Strip Mute buttons, while Muting the signals in those channels, have a different meaning in Logic.

As an aside, the Mute Region KC is one of the most useful around and well worth trying out IMO, I use it all the time.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
further tests establish that it isn't solely the channel strip, since the parallel tracks play the same strip normally. Also if I change the strip instrument number, no improvement.

Calling track 5 the dead one, if I try instead to record vocals with piano tracks 2 and 3 solo'd, they will both play during run-through, but on 'Record' only one will play. They both survive the ordeal, though, and happily play on 'Play', whereas track 5 is dead, dead, dead.

Upvote 0
Sorry Pete, I hate to ask again, you must be as tired of reading this as I am writing it: Any chance you would include system details? If this is in fact a bug, it then becomes vital to know as much as possible about the system you are using in the hope of reproducing it.
You might like to think about including your system details in your signature.

kind regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Back