Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to name keys in Piano Roll (for KeySwitching)?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterspiano, Dec 10, 2013.

1. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Dear Logic X Experts,

is there a way in Logic X to get ‘artificial’ note names to appear on the piano roll? By artificial, i mean KeySwitch names. e.g. Legato, Pizzicato etc.. I’ve done some research on this and see that one CAN in-fact do this (, but, the suggested method involves making a mapped instrument. I fear that this might not be compatible since my situation is a bit complicated by virtue of my using several multi-timbral instruments. Since i’m doing separate automation on each instrument within my multi-timbral instruments, i’m using an auxiliary track for each instrument-within-my-multi-timbral-instrument. (sorry for my confusing wording..:p) Also, the suggested method is for Logic 8 (i think…maybe Logic 9) and now the hyper-editor in Logic X seems to be renamed and perhaps works in a slightly different manner. Thus my asking you kind experts for a helping hand :)

Thank you very much for your time and though - looking forward to any tipps that you might have for me :)

ps. at the moment i’ve got my keyswitches saved in ‘track based notes’ but..i seem to be juggling with so many keyswitch instruments that i’d be really nice not to have to refer to some little text-editor, or have to find…then load up the VSTi Instrument window, but, rather, to be able to see the keyswitch names properly labelled on the notes in the piano roll.
  3. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Hey friends, i'm guessing that i need to do something like the following: I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this process. With my East West Solo Violin (only from the Symphonic Platinum Orchestra Library...not their Solo Violin Library) there are something like 20 Keyswitches. And I find to make best use of all the key switches...resulting in a most life-like'd be nice to have some kind of abbreviation on the notes in the piano roll of what the individual keyswitches do. I don't have at the moment enough monitor real estate to always have my instrument VST windows was hoping to have this info in my piano roll.

Well..if anyone has any experience with this..and would like to share it...i'd be great to hear from you :)
  4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

You have considered using the score editor, either instead of the piano roll or alongside it in a screenset.

I developed a macro that does just what you are asking, though it uses either text ("pizz", "arco") or score symbols such as trills.

It will transform text or symbols into either cc data or note keyswitches, depending on how you assign the articulations in your VI

As mentioned it is for the score, where text and symbols are already useable, but in case you don't read music the system would still work by having two editors open in tandem.

5. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Hey Pete!

thanks very much for your tips...going to look into them in detail now :)

6. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

7. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

8. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I think mapped instruments may only be good for drums and percussion (I may be wrong) I use them and you can indeed use them along with a multi instrument by cabling them.

I haven't set one up for years, so hopefully someone with more recent experience may have some better info.

What I think they are best at is grouping together drum types, e.g. all your different snares that may be on different notes of the keyboard, but then make them all appear on the same line/space of the stave to show like a typical notated drum part.

I would not use that for a regular instrument plus keyswitches, but perhaps someone can correct/enlighten me as to a different use for mapped instruments.
  9. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Something better, the Logic X Toolkit PRO tools such as the AM-PRO, Expression Mapper, Ch.Switcher PRO show the articulations names directly in the Logic Automaton view. Now you can:
    1. Create Names for your Articulation Key Switches, Control Change or Program Change messages.
    2. Having perfect Articulation Chasing. The regular Key Switching (which can not chase properly) is replaced by Track based automation.
    3. Transpose your MIDI regions without transposing the Key Switches (this is TBA now).
    4. Print/export your scores without any Key Switches.
    5. All this is in Logic. It is not a third party stand alone app which needs IAC or other routing.