1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X How to parallel compress drum correctly?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by afavreau, Aug 31, 2015.

1. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

I'm wondering of I'm doing my parallel compression right.

This is what I'm not sure:
    1-Should the bus on each drum channel sends be mono or stereo? or example, should it send through bus 1 or bus 1-2?
    2-Should the sends be Post-Pan, Post-Fader or Pre-Fader
    3-Should my kick and snare tracks which come from my SD 2.0 drum plugin be mono or stereo? Does it matter? They are mono in the plugin.
    4-Should my drum Group track and my Parallel compressed track both go to the output or should they go to another Aux track before before going to the output?

Here is what I have in the attached file

Thanks for your help

Andre Favreau

Attached Files:

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

1. I would use mono separate outs for kick and snare.
    3. Mono outs for kick and snare from the plug-in
    4. Dry and wet to a Drum submix aux
    Below is a suggested routing scheme based on information from Asher's Going Pro with Logic Pro 9.

Dry and wet Kick could be sent to a bus for single fader control before going to the Drum submix aux.(Not shown)
    Same with the Snare.

The main point is to mix in just the right amount of processed sound with the dry signal to achieve the desired level of phat.

Others may have a different approach.
  4. normbias

normbias New Member

I would do this slightly different, or maybe it's the same as I can't quite figure out the above setup. All of your drums tracks would presumably be mono, unless you used a stereo mic. Set the output of each drum channel to Bus 1 (or 2, or whatever you choose). On the corresponding stereo Aux track for Bus 1 on the mixer, label the track as "Normal". Highlight/select this Normal Aux track, then go to Options menu in the upper left of mix window. Select "Create New Auxiliary Channel Strip" and a new fader will be created next to your normal drum mix. Label this one "Parallel". Change input to "Bus 1" also, and add your drum compression on this strip. Voila! Clean drums and compressed drums. I always set up the mix on the clean drums before I bring up the fader of the compressed parallel drums. Mix the balance to taste.
  5. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

This is the problem I have:

-When I send my drums to my Dry track and to my Compressed track, everything is fine.
    -But when I send these two to my Drum Master, the timing becomes all weird. Latency is introduced.

What am I doing wrong?
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

What I’m seeing in your screen shot above is that you’re routing the kick/snare/OH/Room channels to a bus (Superior M..) which feeds the Dr. Grp channel

You’re using Sends to Bus 21-22 to feed the Comp. Drum channel.

Good so far.

I’m assuming the Sends of Dr Grp and Comp Dru (Bus 15-16) feeds your drum master channel which isn't visible in the screen shot.

The big issue at this point is the Dr Grp and Comp Dru channels are set to Stereo Out while also being routed via Bus 15-16 to your drum master. You're routing these channels to two separate locations!

Two options:

1. Set the Dr Grp and Comp Dru channels to "No Output" rather than Stereo out. Use the tiny Sends control to adjust volume.

2. Or, don’t use the Sends to bus at all. Rather, change the channel output from Stereo Out to Bus 15-16 in your case, to feed the drum master. You can use the Dr Grp and Comp Dru faders to adjust the balance of dry and processed drum sounds.

Other things to consider:
    - I/O buffer setting
    - Logic Preferences>Audio>Plug-in Latency. Set it to All or however it’s labeled in L9.
  7. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

Mmm.. that's not quite the problem because Bus 15-16 only go to a reverb bus.
    -I/O buffer size is at 1024 and Plugin Latency is set to all.

I don't understand why two AUX track going to a Aux Track creates Latency.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Since your drum master (submit aux?) wasn't in the screen shot, my guess was Bus 15-16 was the path.
    Since that's not the case, then the routing in your screen shot is now less clear to me.

Does this latency only happen with Superior Drummer?
    Or any and all drum SI?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  9. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

Only with SD so far, but I didn't check with any other track.
    What's an SI?
  10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

SI is short for audio units software instruments.
    Similar to VSTi or VI.

I'm stumped as to why this happening. Not sure if it's related to old hardware/newer software etc.
    A work around could be bouncing the SD MIDI to audio, then doing parallel compression with audio tracks which has a much lighter cpu load.
  11. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

What I do right now is I make sure to move My dry and Compressed drums together by selecting both at the same time, so it's not too bad. At this point, there's no latency. Only when I bus it to a second Aux track does latency appear.
  12. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

Ok. Maybe I'm getting closer to the problem so..

Why is it that I don't have the option to choose a MONO bus from the Output Slot?
    I only have Stereo busses available.