1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to permanently assign a midi controller fader to a Channel strip?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by composerguy78, Apr 28, 2014.

1. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Can anyone explain to me how I could a fader from my hardware midi controller to control volume on a dedicated channel strip or Aux channel strip inside of Logic X?

I am trying to ditch my outboard mixer and I want to have a fader on one of my midi controllers to be permanently assigned to control volume of an audio track (no matter which track I currently have selected in the arrange window).

I write for film and TV and I want to have the audio level of the discrete channels of audio from the movie always controllable by a dedicated fader. I would like the same for the metronome Click also. I am trying to cable via the environment but I'm having trouble!

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Generally you have to decide if you want it in the Environment or via Controller Assignments.

The connections go always to the same channelstrip(s) and you need a template because you do not want to cable each project. Volume and Pan can be controlled by CC7 and CC10, Metronome click can be assigned to a MIDI event via the key commands panel.

Controller Assignments:
    You can control the selected channelstrip, one or more strips in the current "Fader Bank" (which is always a group of 8 channels) or dedicated channelstrips by setting index numbers.

If you control several faders and want to record your movements as Track Automation I rather recommend Controller Assignments.

In case you still prefer the environment method – how many faders do you want to control, which hardware controller do you use and what kind of problem do you have?
  4. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Hi Peter,
    Thank you so much.
    I will be looking to control two audio channels of mono audio (from split track movies - Dialog on Ch 1, Temp music on Ch 2). I will also want one fader to control the level of the click.

I don't need track automation, but I am using the midi controller for other things all the time, such as controlling virtual instruments and I always use it to control volume of the current track I'm on.

Fortunately, I do have a lot of midi control surfaces so if it would help to just have one entire surface dedicated to this, I could do that.

I just tried learning the volume control of a specific fader, but the problem is that when I go to another channel, that fader, then also controls the level for the fader of the track currently selected, which is not what I want.

I think I have figured out the Environment method for the audio channels, but not for the click. I can't find the software instrument which is why.

How can I assign the volume level of the click via the key commands window?

So at the moment, I only need to control 2 audio faders and the click software instrument fader.

If you have any more info about the controller assignments that would be great. I'm not having much luck finding this kind of specific assignment info on the web.

thx so much!

5. Peter Ostry

This is not necessary because you do not need feedback from Logic. You can use any controller, even faders, knobs and buttons on different devices.

This depends on a parameter (drop-down menu) in the Controller Assignments panel. By default Logic learns a controller for "Selected Channelstrip" or "Fader Bank". Both change the controller's target when the selection changes. You'll find a description in the manual, see below at the end of this post.

If this is the only problem, the Environment method may fit perfectly for what you want.

The "Click" is a normal instrument channelstrip with the number 256 and you should find it in the Environment on the Mixer layer. If you have it deleted, just create a new instrument strip and in the Environment Inspector to the left set its number to 256. Then it loads automatically the "Klopfgeist" instrument and works as a click. You can even load another instrument if you do not like the sound of the Klopfgeist.

Ok. If you handle your two audio faders already in the Environment, just do the same with the "Click" channelstrip and that's it.

Sorry, my fault. With a key command you can turn the click on and off (which you may want also). Controlling the volume works via the volume fader of this special channelstrip.

Here is your manual for Controller Assignments:
    Logic Pro X Control Surface Support

If you want to do your task it with Controller Assignments, you got to set the learned hardware faders to "Index" (not "Selected..." or "Fader Bank") and provide the number of the channelstrip you want to control. Could take a while to find the correct number. I am not sure how Logic 9 handles object numbers and they are not printed on the channelstrips.
  6. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

This is a huge help. I really appreciate it. I did not know one could change the click software instrument too! (as it happens I'm fine with it though!) I do use the key command to turn the click on/off.

That is really helpful to know how to assign the hardware fader using the Index and then the channelstrip number! that is some valuable info right there!
    Thx again,

7. Peter Ostry

This can be helpful in certain situations. The Klopfgeist is rather soft and needs often to be loud. For precision in a loud mix I prefer a sharper Urei-like click. Basically a very short tone around 1kHz that cuts through the playback with a moderate volume. For other uses you can get a Timpani, Cymbal, Gong or Bass sound for a strong soft pattern that influences the way you play (dramatic pieces for example). Some people are used to make their own click tracks for such purposes. If you just want a different but steady click, changing the instrument is a quick solution.