1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X How to record midi software to audio 'direct'

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by chalkncheese, Aug 20, 2015.

1. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

..I posted the last thread by mistake, pressed the button inadvertently, apologies !!

I am trying to record direct to audio from a keyboard using Omnisphere as the sound generator. I can set it up fine in a Midi track, which I suppose is the normal requirement, but I cannot see how to record it direct to audio. Can anyone help?

thanks and regards

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Either use the bounce to disc function or the bounce in place function. Or, set the output of the Omnisphere track to an unused bus, then create an audio track with that bus set as the input; record enable the audio track, hit play, and the audio output from the Omnisphere track will be routed to the recording input of the audio track.

4. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Chalkncheese, if you really want to "print" a software instrument direct to audio live, like you're playing a hardware instrument, you can do it, but it's a little complicated.

First, you create your software instrument track and then instantiate Omnisphere as the instrument. This will get you to play Omnisphere live, and when you play your MIDI instrument, you'll hear Omnisphere out the main output. But this will not print what you hear out of Omnisphere live, as if you were recording a guitar or something..

At this point, you can change the output of Omnisphere from the Main Outputs to a Bus, say Bus 10. Now you won't hear it out of your main output anymore.

Next, you'll create an Audio channel, and you'll set the input of the audio channel to Bus 10. You will now hear Omnisphere through your Audio channel, since your audio channel is set to the main output. If you put your audio channel into record, when you hit record, what you play will be recorded as MIDI data on your software instrument channel, and live audio on your audio channel.

I should note at this point that I've never wanted to do this myself—I prefer to keep software instruments as MIDI as long as possible. So there may be some issues with this I'm not thinking of. But theoretically it should work.

Orren

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. chalkncheese

chalkncheese Member

Thank you both so much, simple solution! I agree I would normally keep in midi, but there is a reason why I need to do it this way in this instance!

6. Mused

Mused New Member

I use this technique a lot as recording to midi is not possible or at least limited when using any instrument that has a generative quality that automation fails to fully capture or where chance and interactions are an important part of the music (eg Reaktor Metaphysical Function) so I made a Logic template for this. I've just upgraded it from Logic 9 to X - it has an EP in the instruments slot, just change it to Omnisphere or whatever. Note, in addition to the above points you should also set the audio track to mute while playing, otherwise you get a doubled output while recording (I have done that in the template).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pf7n1plk8fa5zqf/Live recording template.zip?dl=0

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I do something similar, using templates with VI outputs routed to audio channels, and the audio channels to submixes. The submixes may have external sources, VIs and audio. Rather than freeze tracks, or bounce, then listen to them to check for glitches, I set the submix or the audio destinations to record mode and do one pass and listen as they are recorded.