1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use Folders/Track-Stacks in the Score Page of Logic X.

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by peterspiano, Sep 25, 2013.

1. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Dear Logic X Experts:

Do you know of any way to use folders in the score window in a similar way to how in the arrange window i can 'create a track stack'? When looking at an orchestral page of music where only a few things are happening, i find this would be a much easier way of looking at the notes.

Ie. instead of seeing:
    3 Flutes
    3 Oboes
    3 Clarinets
    Solo English Horn
    Solo Bass Clarinet
    Solo Bassoon
    Solo Contrabassoon
    6 French Horns
    4 Trumpets
    4 Trombones
    Solo Tuba
    All Percussion
    Concert Grand.nki
    Violin Solo
    Viola Solo
    Cello Solo
    Double Bass Solo
    Harp
    70 Piece QLeg Sord
    70 Piece QLeg
    70 Piece Str Marc RR
    70 Piece Str sec EXP
    70 Piece Str Sec Pizz
    70 Piece Str Sec Sus

to be able to see the list below, and be able when i need it to open a relevant folder and see the specific parts inside.

Woodwinds
    Brass
    Solo Stings
    Tutti Strings

if i understand correctly, 'explode polyphony' is not quite what i am talking about. Thank you in advance for any pointers you might be able to give me! :)

Peter

3. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Peter,

I'm not sure this is exactly what you want, but have you looked at score sets? - page 701 of the manual.

4. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply :)

yes, i've taken a look at score sets and have built one which works quite well for me.

What i'm after is essentially a Score Window where each instrument group (Woodwinds for example) can be packed into a 'stack' or a 'folder'. Alternatively they could also be 'un-packed' so that each instrument would be represented by one staff-of-music (ie, the 5 line musical system we use ^^).

I figured that'd be an very useful complement for the arrange window where one CAN use the track stacks - which i find to be REALLY great.

looking foward to any other input! :)

5. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply :)

yes, i've taken a look at score sets and have built one which works quite well for me.

What i'm after is essentially a Score Window where each instrument group (Woodwinds for example) can be packed into a 'stack' or a 'folder'. Alternatively they could also be 'un-packed' so that each instrument would be represented by one staff-of-music (ie, the 5 line musical system we use ^^).

I figured that'd be an very useful complement for the arrange window where one CAN use the track stacks - which i find to be REALLY great.

looking foward to any other input! :)

6. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Hi Peter,

I'd guessed that's what you meant, and as far as I know it can't be done at the moment. It would be very useful though.

7. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Hey Chris, sorry for the double post. And thanks for the second reply :) ok...what a pity...will just have to do with out it!

8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Only one score set???

Zangar, Asher and other score guru's recommend that the user make a score set for each instrument track for ease of printing out lead sheets etc. You can also create a score set for any grouping of tracks that you want: Just the strings; or just the 1st and 2nd violins; the winds section or any subset of it; brass; just the cello and flute; whatever.

When you then select one of your custom score sets, you will only see the staves for the instruments within that set that you defined.

That's the way to achieve the visibility in the Score editor that you're after.

9. ChrisByrd

ChrisByrd Member

Looking at this again, I agree with CSeye - you can do all this with score sets, which would effectively act as folders. In fact they're more flexible as you can create sets such as Woodwinds + Strings as well as Woodwinds, etc.

10. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

More flexible indeed.

For peterspiano, check out the View and edit music notation chapter available in the Logic Help Menu>Logic Pro Help. There's a section entitled Create scores and parts using score sets.

Better yet, check out Chapter 20 of the Logic Pro X- User Guide here: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#professionalsoftware.

11. peterspiano

peterspiano Member

Wow! OK... i didn't realize the need to make multiple score sets...then i'm gonna have to learn about that! :) thanks! by the way you both described the score set element it sounds like that will in fact do what i need....

thanks for your kind answers!! :)