Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 How to work w/RMX with Demix?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Legacy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Legacy

Legacy Member

I understand the Demix by note feature, but I'm not sure how to best utilize this with Stylus RMX. The problem is that RMX midi consists of a chromatic scale, which just leaves a disorganized mess after Demixing.

Is there a way to use RMX in such a way as to have each individual drum on a separate track? I realize that this is problematic because an individual audio slice can be a combination of sounds, such as a kick drum and hat.

But is there a "best practice" workflow when trying to separate drum sounds from RMX, other than doing it manually? Thanks!
  3. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Why not working MIDI instead of audio?
  4. Legacy

Legacy Member

I'm talking about midi!
  5. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

Then this could be of some help.
  6. Legacy

Legacy Member

I appreciate that you're trying help, but either you're not acquainted with Stylus RMX, or I'm totally not getting your point.
  7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I don't think Demix will do exactly what you want it to. If you created a Transform set that selected notes between subposition 1 1 1 1 and 1 1 2 1 you'd probably get most of the downbeats, then you could create Transform sets for the backbeats by changing the selection parameters. Trouble is that RMX grooves aren't perfectly quantized, so since the lowest subposition parameter you can select is 1 1 1 1 you'll miss all the 0 4 4 239 downbeats. The only solution I can think of is to use Transform sets to pull out all subpositions except the downbeats, (1 1 4 1 to 1 2 2 1 etc) then what's left will be the downbeats.

I also think that since RMX isn't playing separate instruments, but rather a sliced audio track, splitting up the individual beats to send to different audio paths might screw up your sound, but if you just use it to lift out the snares to add some verb it might work.
  8. Legacy

Legacy Member

Thanks Sonny; I'll have to give that some thought.