Logic Pro (X) I appear to be clumsy with Link mode

peterlemer

Logician
clicking Edit/Link ( same level or enclosed) in the Main window and selecting Window/Open Piano Roll, there are no events in view until I choose Play.

I often don't want to Play as the cursor is in a definite position for editing.
Yes, the workaround is to have both Main and Piano Roll open in two monitors, but I prefer to keep my Mixer on screen 2.

Also, the Piano Roll display is awkward with note events occupying the top 1/5 of the screen, with velocity occupying 4/5ths. I prefer 50/50.

These are new and unwelcome behaviours.

Are there any adjustments I can make?

pete

Hi Pete,

Before you open the Piano Roll, select a region in Arrange. You should get the result you want.

I feel Logic X has screwed up Link mode somewhat. The familiar chain symbol has gone, and you can only find Link mode in the menus of Arrange, Event list and Score - no options in the Piano Roll window. You should write to Apple and complain - I did this a while ago.

There's a dividing line in the Piano Roll between the note events and the lower area. When you hover over it, you should get a resizing cursor. Just drag up or down to change the view as you prefer.

Regards
Colin

Upvote 0
Colin:
> Before you open the Piano Roll, select a region in Arrange. You should get the result you want.

that's exactly what I do, and expect to see blobs on the grid, but it invariably comes up with a blank grid until I press Play.

> You should write to Apple and complain - I did this a while ago.

who did you write to, and can you share the text you sent?

> There's a dividing line in the Piano Roll

yes I know, but after I re-size it, it forgets so the next time I open it, the 20/80 proportion reappears and I have to resize it again. I don;t want to resize the Piano Roll every time I open it :-(

Upvote 0
Strange behaviour......

Send feedback here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

You can always find this link in the Logic Pro X menu. Select [Provide Logic feedback]

Peter, you shouldn't be constantly opening and closing windows. Rather use screensets.
Make a copy of whatever screenset you're working in, to a blank unused screenset. Open the Piano Roll and set it as you wish. Instead of closing the Piano Roll, just go back to your previous screenset. When you need Piano Roll, change screensets.

I have about 8 different screensets specifically set up with a small Arrange window, plus a Piano Roll (PR) window below. One has the PR with notes only. The next one has PR with notes and velocity displayed. The next one has PR with notes plus Modwheel displayed etc etc.

Screensets are your friend....

Upvote 0
Colin: I use screensets :)

My favourite process at this stage of assembly is to have the mixer on left monitor, and the Main window on my right, and I dive in and out of regions to view pianoroll briefly. It works for me. I have 2 pianoroll screensets for more intensive editing.

Upvote 0
Back