1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 I can only see the bass cleft

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by brian965, Nov 1, 2010.

1. brian965

brian965 New Member

I would like a print a song so I can play it for piano but it only shows the bass notes, there are actually more notes that would be in the treble cleft but they arent shoting up..

3. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Nice screen capture! The score editor will display whichever MIDI tracks have their MIDI regions selected. You can have multiple score windows open, with different staves selected. Hold shift down, and click on the MIDI regions, then open another score window...

4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it was a nice screen capture but far too big for the forum!

Please feel free to post a smaller one. 600px x 600px is the maximum size allowed. Ideally though your screen capture should show us the staff style you are using.

It would seem to me that if notes are there in the region, but not showing up on the staff, then you are using a polyphonic staff style (Used to be called score style, I'm not sure which in Logic 8). Try just using a standard piano style.

Alternatively, is it possible the notes that aren't showing up are in a different region?

I hate to say this, but it could be a case of needing to read the manual about logic's score. It is quite powerful but is not completely straightforward.

5. Pete Thomas

Having reread what juan said, I also think your "missing" notes could be in another region.

If that is the case you do need to view all the regions, so best to open a score window, not just use the view at the bottom of the arrange, however you will be able to see all the regions there if you unclick the yellow link icon (and then click the arrow to the left). The yellow link icon in this window means only the selected region will show.

Again, for printing out music you do need quite an advanced knowledge of the score editor, Logic won't automatically present you with a printable/readble score or parts so I will emphasise the need to read the manual, then feel free to ask questions here about anything in there that doesn't make sense.

6. David51

David51 Senior member

Hey Brian, you will get great help here but you might want to consider ordering "The Logic Notation Guide" from the man who seems to have put it together in 1997. Google the name Prischl and the name of the book and you should find his web site-the only place I know where it can be ordered. It is a bit heavy going sometimes, but then it is Logical. There have been some improvements to the score editor but you can look up the term in the Logic Pro 9 manual for any major changes. I still have never been able to use one new featire-GarageBand like note heads and if you turn on show draw bars from the score windows view drop down they will appear. i find his patient more info than needed way of showing one around the score than the Apple Logic Po 9 manual, althoug,as Pete said, you will have to cram some complicated concepts into your heads RAMM before it becomes obvious what you need to do. Its' really very good because of it's flexibility in some areas, in other matters, like score styles i can follow Prischl's thinking and don't have to be constantly asking to be lead by the hand . Although there are people here who probably would do it.

7. brian965

brian965 New Member

I do i really am, im selecting staff style and piano 1/3, it just wont show both hands!

8. Pete Thomas

There's your problem right there I think.

Piano style 1/3 is polyphonic. For all the notes to show they must be assigned MIDI channel 1 or 3. Notes on other channels will be invisible.

See (my post above) and your Logic 8 manual p. 753 - 756

9. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks for the reply brian, I sometimes literally pull my hair out when working in the score but Pete Thomas knows a lot more than I do, at this time. Have you also tried the almost invisible icon that's all the way to the left in the title bar of a score window? There are icons in that title bar and on the left you have Page View, MIDI in, MIDI Out, Man walking away, and the sort of chain links that keep various windows at the same place, and the last one is sort of arrow pointing up, usually when I hit that button the rest of what is in the arrange page will join the score. But first do what Pete offered as solution, before the tearing of garments and hair.

10. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

BTW, I know it is pedantic of me to mention this but personally I want to know when I am using a term incorrectly. It is a clef, not a cleft. A cleft is what Michael Douglas has on his chin.