1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a ProTools session

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by peterlemer, Nov 24, 2009.

1. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

A client has recorded a track in a PT studio and wants to remix here in my L8 studio.
    What do we need to ask the PT guys to send us, and how easy is it to import?

I realise that none of the plugins are likely to be congruous, that's OK

3. bobdemaa

bobdemaa Senior member

Hopefully they'll be able to export an OMF file. That's the best way to do it IMHO. Importing the OMF will bring all the audio in already on tracks. You'll have a fresh start at that point with Panning, levels, FX etc. but all the audio will be in the correct position.
  4. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

thanks bob - it turned into a saga! the studio seemed unwilling to send us the file - saying that to create an OMF would require a special plugin, and that the file was to large to ftp and they didn't send a DVD anyway!. I had to go to the studio with my student ( who had recorded the track) and found that they had installed an entire pre-automation studio - a wonderful old custom neve and shedloads of what would have been seriously expensive outboard gear... in 1980?. When I asked if we could remove the drums they said it was impossible as they would have to recreate the whole mix from scratch. unless, that is, we wanted to pay for another day or two :) It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't recorded the drums on 2 mikes, kick and overhead AFIACR, and it sounded like it :-( not only that, but the drums were mixed too hot. Pity.
    Good speakers, though, good room, and excellent engineers.
  5. Gio

Gio Member

aske them for the PT session,
    I'll convert it to PMF for you.
    email me privately if interested
  6. hsdrecording

hsdrecording Member

consolidate and convert to aiff or wav.
  7. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

Gio- many thanks for offer - that's very kind.
    Events have moved on - the client decided to run with what there was plus a few tweaks.
    I have the whole folder and the offer of a very good PT studio for free but for now, it's all over

PS. do you mean OMF?
    For future reference, does this need a special plugin or is it part of the PT suite?
  8. hsdrecording

hsdrecording Member

you can also save the pt file as an omf. but that costs extra. digidesign does not include that with the software.
  9. Eli

Eli Senior member

.... and it ain't cheap to add this option....
  10. peterlemer

peterlemer Senior member

what's a PMF file?