1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing from Project File Backup

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Procomposer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Procomposer

Procomposer New Member

Now with the new way LPX is backing up projects and there isn't a specific Project File Backups folder is it possible to import from a backup? Not load up a previous alternate version of the song altogether but actually import just a track, instrument, midi content etc. from a previously saved backup? I used that feature constantly in LP9 when I'd be working on a current version of the tune but then needed to import just a track setting, instrument etc. from an older version. New to the group, please excuse if this has been covered!
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

You can import from specific project alternatives, using the new project alternatives feature. So, i a project contains several alternatives, you can select and import from any one of the specific alternatives that are present in the project.

AFAIK, there's no way to import from the automatically generated project file backups though. All you can do with them, AFAIK, is revert to them from under the File menu of an open project..
  4. Procomposer

Procomposer New Member

Hi and thanks for the reply!
    So- I did figure it out! In LP9 you could not import from the current project you were in (since it's already open!) What I didn't know was that now if you select the current project in the browser you can open the import dialogue and it will give you a choice of alts to choose from. I was trying to navigate the browser to on of the alts and didn't remember they were all "hiding" inside the one project. Thanks again for your help!
  5. Procomposer

Procomposer New Member

It does seem problematic however, that you can't import from an auto saved backup. I suppose the answer is to constantly create alt files in which case I'm basically creating my own "Project File Backups" folder.
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yes, exactly. I have never been a fan of the automatic backups system. I prefer being in charge of when backups are created so I can make them in places that are logical and useful for me in the development of the project. And yes, you can use the new Alternatives feature for this. But personally, I still prefer the old fashion "save as" routine. I don't like having everything invested in one single project file. Because if it gets corrupted, you have to import the individual alternatives one at a time if you want to retrieve them all.

Whereas with the "save as" scheme, you're only put one version if a project file gets corrupted. And if you need it, you only have this one version to import into a new project.
  7. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

I guess that the backups were meant to be "backups", not in between versions of an evolving project.
    I agree with the old cashon way to handle "saving as"... Although it does'nt necessarily immunizes against saving corrupted versions, as it may take a while before realizing that a file is corrupted... But statistically gives one more chance to have a valid one among the lot.