1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Incorrect triplet notation when tied?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by jonperl, Apr 12, 2011.

1. jonperl

jonperl Member

I'm noticing Logic is flaky about displaying triplets - I've hard-quantized the notes to a 12th grid in a 4/4 meter, forced legato, etc. Continuous 8th note triplets (12th notes) display correctly as 8th-note triplets: but, if I have a 12th note followed by a 6th note (so to speak), Logic displays it as a 16th followed by a dotted 8th rather then as a triplet 8th followed by two tied triplet 8ths. Visual quantize in the Score's region inspector is 16,24.

This happened in a completely different song yesterday.

Any advice?
  3. jonperl

jonperl Member

To clarify - what I'd expect to see is three triplet 8ths, with the last two tied, or an 8th followed by a quarter with the triplet bracket.
  4. jonperl

jonperl Member

OK I got it to work by setting visual quantize to 8,24 - it displays an 8th followed by a quarter with the triplet bracket. But I still don't see why it doesn't work when I have visual quantize set to 16,24. I must be missing the obvious.
  5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I would expect to see one 1/8 and one 1/4 with a triplet sign (as you mention you get when using 8,24

You can get it to work with 16,24 if you add a n-tuplet, but of course we shouldn't need to do this.

What is happening with 16,24 is it is correctly quantising to the nearest 16th, but ignoring the fact that it's supposed to be a triplet 1/8 notes.

Once you use the n-tuplet Logic knows you want to force the displaly to whatever is set in the tuplet window.

I also noticed it doesn't work properly with 8,12 display quantise.