1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Instrument names in Scoresets?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Jay Denson, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

My question is in the topic header. How do I do this? Preferably names on every stave not just the first ones.
    If I preview a scoreset as a pdf I get names on the first staves but obviously I can't edit in a pdf.

TIA Jay

3. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

SOLVED - in Page View you automatically get the names (but only on the first staves). Selecting View (in scoreset) I can show instrument names in a column to the left of the score. The choice of whether or not to show names in this way is independently selectable for Wrapped and Page views. This approach does what I nee - to be able to identify which stave is which when the scoreset contains maybe 10 staves.

Another question: can I alter the spacing between staves? It's pretty wide which wastes a lot of screen space. I've looked in every preference and trawled thru the manual - nada.

Jay

4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

The spacing is determined by the above and below space on the appropriate staff set style( ? or whatever it's called I'm not at Logic right now)

5. volovicg

volovicg Senior member

Jay,

You seem to be convaluting terminology a bit so not sure of "exactly" what you are asking but here is a general summary....

If you want to see instrument names while working in Logic ( not necessarily on the printed score) - there is an option under the view menu called show/hide instruments ( control shift N). This will display the track name in the score editor and draws the name from the track itself ( has nothing to do with the score set selection or configuration). Each view is independently controlled.
    So you could have show instrument names on for page view, off for wrap view and on for linear view. As you then click the various views - logic remembers the setting for view mode you are in. This provides a way to identify track names in the editor, primarily used for easily idenfying what staff your are working on.

In page view, if you want the instrument names as part of page view ( or the printed score), then those name a determined based on the track name ( if no score set is used). If a score set is in use, then the name will be whatever you have defined as the full name or short name in the score set ( wait I will explain the difference in a sec...) - this however is determined by the settings in layout->numbers and names section where there are options for displaying the names only on the first staff, left of staff, top of staff and whether to use the full names or short names. All of this applies to the page view appearance and that of the printed score as well (not wrap or linear view).

Staff spacing,
    Staff spacing is tied to the staff style as peter indicated (for page view or the printed score) - you can grab the clef and move it up or down or change the numerical values in the staff style associated with that staff. Remember though if you change the spacing of a staff - it is part of the staff style, so all staves/regions that are using that staff style will also adjust. Again why you should using different staff styles for each part.

In linear view you can grab and drag the boundaries to expand or shrink the spacing between staves ( again only associated with score editor's visual viewing and not page or printed view).

So if the above is confusing or you feel you cannot extract a suitable answer to your problem from above, we need to know if the staff names and spacing question is related to what you want to see in the score editor while editing ( to aid in the editing process) or if it is related to what you want to see in page view or the printed final score.

Greg V.

6. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Pete and Greg

I've been away and haven't looked into these matters yet. I'll be back later but meantime many thanks for your time.

Jay

7. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Pete and Greg

All understood - grateful thanks as always.

Jay