1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Introduction & ignored automation on audio tracks

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by wavcatcher, Dec 14, 2009.

1. wavcatcher

wavcatcher New Member

Greetings LUG,
    I'm a longtime LUG Lurker (for over 5 years) and an even longer DAW user of PT, Cubendo and DP (1 or the other since the mid 90's). My recent Sound Design contracts have me using Logic as that is the clients preferred app so I'm digging in deeper to Logic now. I look forward to being more active here accordingly and so, on to my automation question...

I'm curious about an automation issue I have in Logic 9.
    I have automated some plug in settings on an audio track but the automation is ignored (logic simply doesn't seem to react to the automation data) until just before an audio region occurs in an audio track.

So I'm wondering, does logic ignore automation data unless an audio region exists?

If so, that's a bummer because, I bounce hundreds of files for sound design / sfx creation and they require lots of automation that often needs to be set in advance of an audio region. Otherwise the automation may not be reset or play properly for other reasons...

This particular instance involves automating presets in the GRM Doppler plug in wrapped via FXPansion VST- AU 2. The Doppler plug in needs a few seconds to get reset in between audio files hence the need to setup automation prior to the acutal audio region.

Anyone else experience this or have any insight?
    Anyone know how logic treats plug ins or automation on audio tracks when an audio region isn't currently being played but audio regions occur before or after?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    wavetrap

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

First of all, it would be good to know if you are using Region Based Automation, or Track Based Automation. RBA, as the name suggests, is tied in to regions and as such, triggers automation in the region. TBA will trigger Automation anywhere you want on the Track you are using it on, so from your description is the type of automation you should be using. What is important with TBA is, once you have recorded it using touch, latch or write, is to set the channel strip to read. If you haven't done this, try it and see how you get on.

kind regards

Mark

4. wavcatcher

wavcatcher New Member

HI Mark, thanks for offering a suggestion.

I'm pretty sure I'm using track based automation. I didn't perform any "move automation to region" commands and simply wrote automation in the GRM plug in by clicking on it's presets while the track played. I can see the automation in a "lane" which is named GRM Preset so it seem the parameter is showing up with no trouble as a logic automate-able setting.

I did have the channels set to latch, but touch or read also cause the same problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris
    wavetrap

5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Hi Chris

In order to track down what might be causing your problem, I would suggest substituting the GRM plugin for another Audio Unit or Logic plugin and seeing if the same "non reaction" occurs. I have neither the GRM plugin, nor for that matter, any other FXpansion wrapped VSTs, I don't know whether there may be some issues with Logic's automation specific to one or both, but that seems to be one of the first things to try to clarify.

kind regards

Mark

6. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

I don't know the GRM neither. There are some plugins out that do not work well with automation. Some don't write and some don't even read automation.

Changing presets is a different story. Basically the preset is not an automatable parameter. But some plugins send all parameters at preset change. This may work for automation but if it is a big plugin, Logic may complain about too many parameters.

7. wavcatcher

wavcatcher New Member

Good suggestions here guys. I'll try automating another plug-in and report back. I've had to get on to other projects so couldn't do further testing on this.

Also, a bit more info here...
    GRM presets are actually just combinations of settings that can be quickly saved and then clicked on (1-16)to morph from one setting to another. They are similar to Waves plug ins where you have an "A" and a "B" setting and can compare between the two. So the presets I'm referring to aren't "presets" like you would click and navigate to via drop down menu's rather, "scenes" within a saved preset... not sure if this rambling explanation helped or not. But hopefully it adds some clarity.

The automation behavior is strange in that it's acting like it doesn't exist until a couple hundred milliseconds before an audio region occurs, then it just snaps into place and starts working.