Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Introduction to Synths/Sequencing

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by cyberzim27, Mar 4, 2013.

1. cyberzim27

cyberzim27 New Member

Hi guys--

Forgive me if this kind of thing has already been addressed. I'm not looking for the answer to a specific issue. Basically, I have a barely-rudimetnary concept of what the different Logic instruments (ESX24, ES2, Ultrabeat, etc.) do in theory and practice, but I'd like to have better control. (For example, I know that the shape of the sine wave in ESX24 changes the sound properties, but I'm not entirely sure which setting will help me achieve X, Y, or Z end, etc.)

What I am trying to avoid is spending years and years just fiddling with knobs and clicking random buttons and seeing what does what. I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction to a good guide to help me understand these not-Logic-specific concepts better so that when I'm reading, say, the Logic manual, it isn't quite so much of a slog. Anybody have any ideas?

Nothing would be too remedial-- I'm not even entirely sure I know what an envelope is. (I come from an acoustic instrument background.)

3. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

Hi Andrew,
    Most of today software instruments are based on the vintage hardware synthesizers. This technology is well described in the Wikipedia - here is a Web Link where you can start from.
  4. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

I think that is a very good approach! For Logic I'd say it is the only possible approach since you can't really "learn Logic". What you should to do is to "learn composing and recording production" and with that knowledge on board you will always be able to pick the appropriate tools from the vaste toolbox named Logic.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Senior member

There is no way out: reading and experiencing together.
    You have already realized that only fiddling with the knobs is a "forest you will get lost in". And reading pages are meaningless technical theory, if you cannot hear what it all actually means...
    Since you intend to work in Logic, might as well get your hands wet with the real stuff! So my short advice would be to learn straight with one of the Logic's synth.
    The above mentionnned plugins (EXS24 (a sampler), ES2 (big hybrid synth) and Ultrabeat (a complex rythm box) are rather too-big-chunk to bite in as starters. You would find way easier to start with a more basic plugin synth, such as the ES M or the ES P. That would give you a pretty good idea of the basic concepts and these actually affect their sound. As mentionnned in a previous post, the conceptual background used in Logic for synth plugins is inspired by the original vintage synth world, which also inspired other brands as well. So, it is well time spent here.

I understand your dismay in front of the litterary thousands of pages Logic's documentation "boast". Focussing on the part that addresses an immediate need seems the obvious recommandable approach.
    In short a little bit at the time, so you could get acquainted properly with that "beast"...
    Asking questions on forums are an excellent way to clarify unclear bits.
    By the way, have you considered short-cutting the learning curve via video tutorials.
    The Groove 3 - Logic 9 Explained is one that I would warmly recommend. And the author of these is actually attending this very board.

The envelope is the way the sound evolves over time. It could address the volume level or other sound features.
    Envelope is usually divided in four steps: the Attack, the Decay, the Sustain and finally the Release. (In short: ADSR).
    The Attack refers to how fast the sound feature gets heard. If we concentrate on the volume level feature, the Attack would make the sound more percussive if the Attack is short. The sound would be more like a gradual swell if the Attack is slow or longer. As an example, piano sound has a short Attack, while softly bowed string have slow/longer Attack.
    The Sustain is the level of loudness you will hear when the note is played. in example, if you play an organ, that would be the loudness it delivers while you maintain the key depressed.
    The Decay, refers to the time it takes to the sound to reach its Sustaining level, after the Attack phase.
    The Release refers to the time the sound is still heard after you have lifted your finger(s) from the key(s). The sustain pedal on a piano gives you a good idea of that.
    Regardless of the above description sequence, in terms of timeline occurrence, the Attack comes first, then the Decay, then the Sustain and finally the Release.

Envelopes is (one of) the way to modulate the sound features over time. Therefore it could be applied to other aspect besides its volume level.