Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Is it possible to mix in 5.1 without a 5.1 setup?!

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by composerguy78, Jan 27, 2016.

1. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Hi there,
    I'm scoring a movie and they may need the score to be delivered in 5.1. I don't have a 5.1 setup however. Is there a way to bounce in 5.1 without having a 5.1 setup?

Or is that just a terrible idea?!!

Thx

Felix

3. loopkitchen

loopkitchen New Member

You can setup and work but you obviously won't be hearing what's really going on.

Setup Logic as 5.1 and use the Mixdown plugin in your master channel. That way you hear it mixed to stereo but when you export it bounces in surround.

As I said, you'll be flying blind.

Best, Hans!

4. bambony

bambony Administrator Staff Member

Will this be the final mix for the movie? If so I think you would really want to get it right if there's any kind of budget involved. Having said this I doubt 5.1 is critical for the music - it's more for special effects and to simluate movement/direction.

Tony

5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

If mixing in 5.1 is going to wind up way to expensive for you, you could also try mixing in stereo and using an upmixing plugin that doesn't mess with the image to spread it. Some upmixing plugins will ruin your mix for future downmixing by adding out-of-phase elements that screw with the LtRt mix, but I believe Penteo and Nugen Halo can be counted on to do it properly.

Having said that, flying blind (or in this case, deaf) is not your best choice, so even if you can't afford to go to a surround studio to mix everything, at least go for a couple of hours to print the upmixed version so you know what you're sending!

6. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Have a look at the new Nx plugin from Waves. It is designed to let you mix 5.1 with headphones. Not expensive I understand.

7. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

That looks amazing, especially at $49US, but I think we'll have to do a lot of testing to see if it's really going to allow us to mix in Surround with a pair of stereo headphones!

8. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Hey Everyone,
    Thank you so much for all of this! This is really useful. I may well try that plugin and I could send it over to a friends studio to have it checked out.

Very much appreciated everyone!

Thankyou

Felix

10. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Well, we are down to the wire on the Nx plugin...the demo is supposed to appear on Waves' site today! I'm looking forward to trying it out...thanks for bringing it into the conversation, bayswater!

11. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Indeed, Thanks Bayswater!
    Best

Felix

12. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Just installed the two-week demo of Nx and I have to say, it's pretty amazing. My crappy webcam confuses the head-tracking sometimes, but generally I get a pretty good sense of where things are in the surround field, especially if I don't turn my head too quickly. I'll be buying this one.

13. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Glad to hear it. I've got a pretty good webcam, so I'll have to try this out.

14. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Wow, I just discovered that it wasn't my crappy webcam after all. I took off my glasses and the tracking went to near-perfect! Oh well, I don't have to see while I'm listening, do I?

15. composerguy78

composerguy78 Member

Great to hear this! Thanks so much!
    Felix