1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is LOGIC able to do that Basic Pro Task ?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by LogiKus, Jul 29, 2013.

1. LogiKus

LogiKus New Member

Moving regions is a basic task, isn't it ?

Is there a function in Logic to move in one action several regions (that are each at a different time position)
    to a same time position but on their respective track ?
    Exemple :
    Select 3 regions.

Region 1 on track 1 at position 1 1 1 1
    Region 2 on track 2 at position 2 1 1 1
    Region 3 on track 3 at position 3 1 1 1

Can we move in one action these 3 regions to the position 4 1 1 1 , keeping them on their respective track ?

I'm on Logic 8 and i haven't found this function.
    I have also looked in the Logic Pro X manual but this function, that i consider basic for a soft that claims to be pro, still isn't in Logic it seems.
    If this function exist in Logic, where is it ? How to action it ?

The exemple above is with 3 regions,
    but imagine when you got 30 or 40 regions to move one by one,
    and this several times a day,
    and again day after day ....

What qualifies a professional tool is,
    for one part the good quality work that it permits to achieve,
    and for other part the working speed it allows, time is crucial in professional domain for the enterprise to survive.
    If Logic doesn't have this function,
    the lack of it make Logic not a Pro app, but semi-pro.

What are others sequencers, really pro, that got this basic editing function ?

Thank you.
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

There kinda' sorta' is a way to do this relatively painlessly. Select all your regions at once. Then use the key command "move region/event to playhead position and select next region/event (pickup clock+).

It will snap everything over lining the first one up to your playhead and leaving the remaining ones offset from the first. But it automatically selects the next region for you, so all you have to do is hit the key command again. So,it is one action of selecting the 30 or 40 regions. Then just hit the key command 30 or 40 times; you don't need to do anything in between each key stroke.

Attached Files:

4. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

I prefer to do that by shift-selecting and mouse-dragging. But then I always set up my Logic preferences to "not allow diagonal dragging" so I will be sure any constellation of regions I may lasso select and drag will stay on the original tracks. Same logic applies to dragging notes in the Piano Roll edit, so as far as I can tell that preferences hint is a good one.
  5. LogiKus

LogiKus New Member

i found the way to do it :

Select regions.
    presse hold option+shift,
    set the position in the event list.

Done !
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

What Eli said!
  8. Fabulowsky

Fabulowsky Member

I found even nicer to use the good old event float window (Alt E) and set the value to whatever fits your needs, it is small enough to stay always in the top of my main window and it is always in my screenset 1 ;-)
  9. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Note that the option+shift action applies to just about anything in the event list of course, not just regions.