Logic Pro 9 Issue with copy/paste

guitarmann13

Logician
I have a bass guitar audio track with a take folder. Only the last take has anything I want to keep. I'm trying to copy a section from the 1st verse to the second but I'm getting a weird result. Once I paste to the section in the 2nd verse the song will no longer play from the beginning. Instead it starts from the Pasted section. Regardless of where I put the playback head.

I'm unpacking the folder, deleting all the unwanted tracks, using the marque tool to select the part I want to copy and copying the section. Then I go to the second verse, use the marque tool to highlight the complete section I want to replace and then choosing paste replace. Both sections are exactly the same length.

I must be doing something wrong.

A second question. Is there a simple way to turn off the creation of take folders without recording in cycle mode?

Thanks in advance,

I have a bass guitar audio track with a take folder. Only the last take has anything I want to keep. I'm trying to copy a section from the 1st verse to the second but I'm getting a weird result. Once I paste to the section in the 2nd verse the song will no longer play from the beginning. Instead it starts from the Pasted section. Regardless of where I put the playback head.

I'm unpacking the folder, deleting all the unwanted tracks, using the marque tool to select the part I want to copy and copying the section. Then I go to the second verse, use the marque tool to highlight the complete section I want to replace and then choosing paste replace. Both sections are exactly the same length.

Is it possible you still have the marquee selection active after pasting. This would account for the behavior you are experiencing. Playback always starts from the marquee position, regardless of where the play head is, when a marquee selection or stripe is active. Dry deselecting the marquee area by clicking in the back ground and see if the behavior persists.

A second question. Is there a simple way to turn off the creation of take folders without recording in cycle mode?

I'm not sure if I understand. You want to not record in cycle mode and not have take folders, right? Why not just record onto another track assigned to the same channel strip? That should do it. If you don't want take folders, it would follow that you want the different takes on different tracks; since having them stacked on top of each other is relatively useless in Logic. If that is what you want, just assign a bunch of tracks to the same channel strip, and select a fresh one each time to record to.

Upvote 0
I think you nailed my copy/paste issue right on the nose. As for the take folder issue, I guess I didn't explain it correctly but your solution is the best. Simply delete the unwanted track before I do another take.

Thanks a bunch!!

Upvote 0
I think you nailed my copy/paste issue right on the nose. As for the take folder issue, I guess I didn't explain it correctly but your solution is the best. Simply delete the unwanted track before I do another take.

Thanks a bunch!!

Why not just hit command option return to instantly create a new track with the same channel strip and record to that. This way you don't have to commit to deleting anything. And they all get lined up underneath each other for easy auditioning later.

This was the "old school" way to do it, before take folders came along :;)

Upvote 0
Yeah that would work. I think I will like the take folders when I need them. In this situation, I created a bunch of partial tracks just dialing in my compression and eq. I never intended to use them but didn't realize that when I started over from the beginning I wasn't just overwriting the original take. When I finally got all the levels set I hit it almost perfect the first run through. I actually didn't hear the fret buzz until sometime later when I was no longer set up to take additional takes.

So in this situation copy/paste from the first verse seemed to be the best solution.

Thanks again and yeah, I guess I am old school. Well at least I'm old...

Upvote 0
Personally I wish there would be a way to disable take folders also. They are usually more of a pain than they are worth. Eli is right, making another track is the best way to deal with it now, it's a giant pita when you're punching in on a drum track though. Also punch in does not behave the same way when you have a take folder. I also wish Logic would stop auto naming the tracks. I know about the song settings but in 9 they don't do anything.

Upvote 0
Back