1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Jampacks sound different in Logic 9 vs Garageband

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Soundscape, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

Hi,
    I recently upgraded to Logic 9 and am loving it,but can't help but notice the difference the way my jam packs sound in garageband vs. logic 9.

In garageband the jam packs sound better to my ears,and I take it because they are using efx straight away.. When I load them in logic,they don't sound as good to my ears,and require more tweaking.. But they fall short of what they already sound like and what I loved in garageband..

I was expecting a bit more.. Now I know logic is far more superior in many ways...I just want them to sound the same.. Is there any thing I can do to make sure they sound as good in logic?? Without having to become a sound designer?

Much thanks for any advise you can offer..

3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

The loops themselves are absolutely identical (literally; they grab the same audio file). So if there's any difference in the channel effects, that's easy enough to duplicate.

In GarageBand, click on the Inspector and see which effects if any are active. Then in Logic, insert those same effects into the channel strip of the track with the Apple Loops. That should get you extremely close, if not exact.

But an Apple Loop with no effects on it should sound absolutely identical in both. The audio file is the same, the audio engine is the same, etc.

Hope that helps,
    Orren

4. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

Hi Orren,
    Thank you for the reply.Yes the loops are of no concern,but yet the exs instruments, sorry I should have mentioned that.

I will take your suggestions and see what I can do.

In the meantime, does Apple not make a script of some sort,or a batch process that could help out with this?

Or would it be a matter of loading them one by one in logic and then re saving each file?

I have 5 jam packs and this would be mad.. lol

Thanks for the quick reply..

5. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

I'm also having troubles finding similar efx with the same presets,, in logic.. I have garageband 2011,and I don't find these exact efx in logic.. Perhaps I'm missing something..

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Have you tried the channel strip settings in Logic 9. It sounds like this might be what you are looking for. It will load up instruments (in many cases, EXS instruments) complete with the patches and effects chain called up. The names might not be identical to what comes preset in Garage Band, but it's the same principle - instruments with effects plug-ins all called up at once.

7. Ming

Ming Member

I load/start the Garageband songs in Logic and save instruments with good sounding settings in Logic's channel-strip. I created a folder in the channel-strip where I collect instrument/settings that I like and they sound identical.

8. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

Thanks for the responses, I'll have a go at it..

9. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

Ok I'm back,sorry to be a bother,but I'm still scratching my head with this.. I load up a garageband sound in Logic,using the Logic channel strip.. but the sounds,still don't sound anything near what they sound like in garageband..

eg: The sounds in garageband are very dialed in,and the instruments sound good,with their already configured efx.In logic the same patch, I get a more flat sound,without efx.. This then requires me to add my own efx?

Is there something I'm still not seeing in Logic,is there a button,that adds the same efx in the channel strip,or am I supposed to manually redesign these sounds?

Thanks for any advise you can offer..

fwiw I'm new to logic,but have years of exp in other daw's.. I wasn't looking to redesign all of the garageband content though.. Perhaps I'm missing something?

10. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

low latency mode, maybe?

If you have "checked" the "low latency mode" box (you can search your Logic reference manual index for help on this feature), your plug-ins will be by-passed. This is beneficial when recording overdubs, but will temporarily disable your plug-in effects. For playback, shut off low latency mode.

The Logic interface assumes you know what you want, and consequently it presumes you understand that sometimes "switches" will be buried several layers beneath the surface of its interface.

To disable "low latency mode" start at Logic's main pull-down menu. The sequence to get to the right page is to click

LOGIC PRO --> PREFERENCES --> AUDIO --> GENERAL...

On that page, your "Plug in Latency" compensation should be set to "All" -- but your low latency mode should be shut off: i.e., its checkbox should be blank.

11. Jonathan Stapleton

Jonathan Stapleton New Member

Re "low latency mode":

A useful tip I picked up: right-clicking on the transport bar gives you configuration options, one of which is to add a "low latency mode" on-off button to the transport bar. It glows orange when engaged, and I never leave home without it these days.

12. Ming

Ming Member

I'll write how I do because i get identical sounds. Let's say I have a "My Song" in Garageband and I like the "Solo star" synth sound. I open "My Song" in Logic. Everything is in there. I try play the Solo star synth and it sounds identical. It is actually the Analog Basic synth, available in both Logic & GB. plus settings for chorus, echo and EQ done by Apple. These settings I want. So n the channel-strips top-left 'button' (that is named "Settings" while empty I use the option "save setting as..". This brings me to the channel-strip settings folder. In there I have created my own folder, "My GB instruments" perhaps and I choose Save. Now back in my channel-strip settings (click and hold), there is my folder with my saved GB sounds to choose & use in all future projects. The "Solo star" sound is the same since the synth, chorus and echo are the same. Also Apple's tweaking of the instrument and FX's are default until I change them.
    The FX's can look different since GB uses stripped-down versions of them.
    Hope that helps

13. Soundscape

Soundscape New Member

I see thanks for the clear explanation :]

14. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

As Ming says, the way you get Garage Band sounds duplicated in Logic is to load open GB songs that have the sounds you like in Logic. Logic will create the appropriate channel strips.

But you might want to consider not doing it that way. The GB instruments have been polished so they sound good played alone, but I don't think they necessarily sound the way you want when they are in a mix.

I get rough songs from composers who worked in GB. If they use more than a few instruments, I find having all the effects used in GB can sum to a load of mush, and this is what often frustrates composers trying to get a good mix. Sometimes its is better to remove all or most of the effects Logic puts in the channels strips, and add effects that work for the mix.

The downside: some of the raw sounds are not that good, and the weaknesses have been hidden with various amounts of compression, e.q., reverb, etc. In these cases, you just have to find better samples.