Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel panics, Crashes after 1.7.4 update

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by grr88, May 23, 2012.

1. grr88

grr88 New Member

All was well with Logic Pro 9.1.7 until we upgraded Lion from 10.7.3
    Seems to go randomly to white screen, endless beach ball, or just plain crashes mostly when changing screen sets. Also editing audio file names can do it.

Happens about once per hour during steady, constant work.
    White screen (kernel panic?) allows us to save and quit. Others not of course, and we don't get "project name.crashed" file generated.

Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes besides going back to 10.7.3?
    Thanks,
    -grr88

Logic Pro 9.1.7
    Lion 10.7.4
    2 x 2.66 Dual-core Xeon
    8 GB RAM

3. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Oh, no! Not the dreaded spinning rainbow wheel of death!

Tell me this is a joke. You are kidding, right?

Just when I thought it might be worth upgrading to Lion..I mean this is the fourth increment, and I was beginning to like the looks of the Lion, too. Plus, I almost have enough money saved up. $29 bucks buys a quarter tank of gas nowadays.

4. grr88

grr88 New Member

Juan, it's no joke. I'm trying to finish a job and the crashes and hangs are becoming more frequent. I've run the disc check/repair utility and I've repaired permissions. (No permissions ever need repairing.) Removed corrupt prefs and run all sorts of cleanups with MainMenu. Not helping.
    But all was fine in 10.7.3 so there you go - take the plunge - if you dare. Guess I'm going back to 10.7.3.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm holding steady at 10.7.3 until clone my system again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. drakey

drakey New Member

did anyone find a resolution for this that doesn't involve rolling back to 10.7.3?

7. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, Logic 9.1.7 doesn't cause any such problems here running in 10.7.4. A kernel panic may be an indication of problems with drivers, compatibility with audio hardware etc.

kind regards

Mark

8. drakey

drakey New Member

Thanks Mark.

2 of my colleagues are seeing the same issue using different hardware so i don't think the issue is hardware related.

for me it doesn't seem to happen when i'm mixing from stems in audio so perhaps its a plugin related issue.

is it possible to check the crash log to see whats going on?

thanks

justin