Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 L8, partial multi-track automation transfer

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by jony sonic, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jony sonic

jony sonic New Member

SITUATION: Live set of multitrack work, several tracks as 60min long track files, consisting of several; individual songs.

Made the mistake of doing mix automation tweaking on one song, but did it on a previous mix-save to the current one. Thus this one song has much work as the most recent mix but saved in the PREVIOUS project name. this automation tweaking SHOULD be in project file for the =current= work project.

Is there a drag/drop quick way to transfer ONLY the automation information for all tracks from this song (in the previous mix) to the CURRENT mix?

thanks

3. alienimplant

alienimplant Senior member

Look for the key command (option+k) to open the automation event list (searching for the word list is probably the fastest way). Then open it. Select all items in the list, copy them and then paste them into the list on the destination song's automation event list.

4. jonperl

jonperl Member

Better yet - use the file browser's track import options - you can select only the automation, without importing the content of a track. "F" for file browser opens on right) - select the song file you want to import from, then choose what you'd like to import - simple and elegant, like so much in L9!

5. alienimplant

Touché! Now that is a hot piece of news. Thank you, Jon!

6. jony sonic

jony sonic New Member

thanks AI, I had tried HALF of that (getting the Automation data just as you describe from the good mix) but had merely tried to paste it into the normal ARRANGE window... didn't work.
    I'll find thefollowing out on my own but...
    Considering this song is part of a continuous full-set-long live recording, do I need to isolate that section of the tracks (split at cursor) or just paste the info into the list? will it SUPPLANT the existing automation data? add to it?

This would, of course, have been more efficient to just go in and redraw by hand from one mix to the other, but I really need to get to know how to drive this thing. It seems this SHOULD be do-able with a system this deep. I've been using this system, as my first jump from analog mixing, for over a year and, while I have easily jumped into MIXINg with it, I'm just miles behind in both the editing capabilities and in really understanding and driving this anywhere near its capabilities. Paying for training is looking more and more like a wise investment every day.

Again thanks.

J

7. alienimplant

If you copy and paste whatever needed automation from the old automation list to the new automation list, it should supplement and replace data already in the destination list. But I think the hard part will be identifying what needs to be copied and making sure automation that you don't need on the destination is already cleared (either through the GUI or the list).

8. jony sonic

jony sonic New Member

thanks on, two clarifications:
    does this apply ONLY with L9? (I'm running L8)

As I asked before, do I need to ISOLATE this song and it's tracks from he rest of the full continuous set? I'm only trying to transfer the automation tweaking from one song.

thanks Jon.

9. alienimplant

What Jon is referring to is in L9 only. And you can pick and choose what tracks you select data from on a channel by channel basis, but I'm uncertain whether it would duplicate tracks in the destination track or not. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that.