1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 L9 and Kore2

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Judith Gruber-Stitzer, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Judith Gruber-Stitzer

Judith Gruber-Stitzer Senior member

Hi All,
    I'm considering getting Massive instrument that uses Kore 2. Does it work well with L9 ?

thanks,

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Hi Judith

Kore 2 and Massive work reasonably well in Logic 9. Both strike me as being very CPU hungry, especially Massive. I think you have an 8 Core? If so you should be OK.

Have you tried out NI's demos?

kind regards

Mark

4. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

Kore2

I'm getting very good results with Kore 2 and my Mac Book Pro. I can typically have one or two multi-channel instances of Kore 2 with MIDI and Audio effects running and perhaps 6-8 assorted NI instruments, Logic 9 seems very stable running them, and that seems plenty for me. I'm also using a number of NI's Kore Soundpacks and find them to be very well-done. I'm actually finding I'm reaching for NI instruments way more than any other instruments I own... they are not the *most* CPU efficient instruments I have, but they are efficient enough that I am getting a satisfying experience from them.

5. Judith Gruber-Stitzer

Judith Gruber-Stitzer Senior member

Hi Eddie
    That's good to hear! I'll give you news about how it goes for me.

thanks,

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Senior member

I'm of two minds on Kore and Logic (I haven't used Kore with any other DAW platforms since switching to Logic). It has some useful features, but often it's still faster to use the plugin on its own with the mouse. This is especially the case with third party software.

There are times I'd say it helps my workflow, especially the Kore packs, perhaps a touch less so with NI soft synths (the way it interfaces with Reaktor simply baffles me).

At times the cryptic abbreviations on the screen and the controller's front panel make simply opening up the software's GUI and working there faster than using the Kore interface that is supposed to make this unnecessary.

For quite some time, Kore crashed regularly on my up-to-date system; I did discover that trashing the Kore 2 user prefs folder has helped a great deal, and it hasn't crashed since doing so in the past week or two, so there's a tip if you're having problems with Kore crashing when working with synths/software into it.

The Kore soundpacks are for the most part extremely well done, and I like NI software a lot, having most if not all of their soft synths/samplers.

However, Kore can be a little confusing when it comes to finding and organizing some of the metadata, especially when it comes to third party software. In many cases, it simply can't retrieve patch lists, etc., and you're stuck with lots of monkey work if you want it to do what you bought it for (unless you're running the free version simply to run the Kore packs).

Would I buy Kore again? Actually, yes, simply for its ability to run the Kore packs it's worth it for me, including the controller. But I would love to see NI improve a few things to make using the software a bit more integrated into the workflow.

7. nk_e

nk_e New Member

I really like KORE and have not had any problems with LOGIC9. Working with the browser and third party plug-ins is a bit of a PIA unless you either a) take some time to organize your patches with KORE or b) find someone who has saved the factory presets as koresounds. As someone else noted, it often can be simpler to work with third party stuff "straight".

But for working with NI's stuff (especially if you own KOMPLETE), or for creating complex "self-contained" unique patches, it's hard to beat.

FWIW: I found this very useful for getting up to speed quickly with KORE's more advanced features:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/nativeinstruments101

Good luck.

8. wnfred55

wnfred55 New Member

Hello Eddie.

I was wondering if you can tell which macbook pro do you have,how much ram you have and HD size.Iam looking to purchase a 13" MBP,2.26GHz dual core2 intel with 4gigs of ram,but the hard drive is something iam looking at,they start off with 160Hd to 500gigs.
    I know logic 9 is about 35gigs not sure how large is Kore 2 software version is but iam trying to see how big a drive i need to store kore 2,logic 9,kore packs and some sample loop librairies and one shot sample stuff.wondering should i put the kore packs on a seperate drive instead of the internal one.any advice would be apreciated.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Senior member

My Kore files sample content and 3 kore packs take 9 gigs. Kore app software itself is maybe 200 megs.

Many recent crashes with 3rd party plugins this week.