Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Layout of Tracks in Multitimbral Instruments

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bayswater, Oct 26, 2014.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

When I create a multitimbral instrument, the requested number of tracks are added to the arrangement, and one channel is added to the mixer. When that channel is selected, so is the last or lowest track in the arrangement. If the tracks in the arrangement are re-ordered, selecting the channel in the mixer continues to also select the last or lower track in the arrangement, even though that is now a different track.

Why is this? Can this be controlled or changed?

Also, in setting up multitimbral instruments, many different names appear: At least the following:

Track Name
    Secondary Track Name
    Channel Name in the Inspector
    Name of the Instrument in the Inspector
    Channel Name in the Mixer

I understand that the secondary name can be linked to various things like presets, but otherwise, I'm completely confused by what all these mean, how these are related, how and why the change spontaneously, and how to control them. Is there documentation somewhere that explains all this?
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Bayswater,

Yes, there is a way to control what is displayed in the Mixer. The default behaviour, as you have discovered, is for it to display just one of the multi timbral instrument's tracks. You can over ride this from the View menu in the Mixer. Enable "all tracks with same channel strip/instrument" and all the tracks associated with the multi timbral instrument will be displayed.

As far as the naming, not so much. I too have found Logic's algo's for determining what name is displayed where to be confusing and frustrating. If you do enable the above Mixer view setting, you _should_ be able to name each of the mult timbral tracks and have them appear consistently in both the Tracks Area and Mixer.

Attached Files:

4. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Thanks Eli, for both answers. Probably time for me to stop skimming the manual and read it properly. On naming, i'm glad it not just me. I'll find something that works, and stop trying to understand how it works.