Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic 7-9

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by TmHuud, Sep 27, 2009.

1. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

Can one go from 7-9 (skipping 8)?
  3. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

Nm- I think I gots an answer

"Yes - it asks you to type in your Logic 8 serial number, or to attach your Logic 7 dongle."

-Apple support
  4. Maurits

Maurits Member

You can jump from any version, because the latest one is the only one to be sold. It just gets more expensive coming from older versions. :)
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Yes, of course. In fact, where space is tight, it could even make sense to have a system with Logic 7 for backwards compatibility, and Logic 9 as the current version with all the latest bells and whistles, and leave logic 8 out altogether.

But there is nothing that will prevent you installing the L9 upgrade without L8 being present. Just have your XSKey nearby when installing - (but you have that anyway for L7.

kind regards

6. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

I upgraded from Logic Express 7 to Logic Pro 9 - same price it would've been from LE8.
  7. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

Thats exactly what we did. (or are doing I should say) Cloning everything on one machine. That way we can slide out the hard drive sleds on one system (containing Logic 7 and Tiger) and slide in another set containing Logic 9 and Snow Leopard to test for incompatibility issues. I'm going to skip going to 8 altogether (thank god) and also skip Leopard (i.e. go straight to SL)

This the safest way. I cant afford to lose a single EXs instrument or anything for that matter. The only remaining dilemma is wether to update to the latest Logic 9 version (.1) or wait for the next update.

Its my understanding the original 9 is more stable then its update.
  8. Markdvc

Cloning is IMO a very good idea, as well as the idea of leaving your old working HD untouched. I presume you never used L8? If that is the case than you are probably OK in not bothering with it and going straight from 7 to 9. If you do have some L8 projects, than it would make sense to still be able to access them in L8.

My experiences with both have been very good, I haven't noticed that 9.0.1 is any less stable than 9.0. But, the sensible thing to do is to save a copy of 9.0 before you update to 9.0.1 so you can revert back if necessary.

kind regards

9. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

Lol. Ok today I decided I just have tooooo much s*i* man. We cant get three quarters of our plugs to pass validation in logic 9 (AND in Logic 7 now that its on Snow Leopard) Keeps mistakenly popping us over to the PACE site. I am thinking that some of these plugs I have will NEVER be updated for SL. Well tomorrows another day. Thank god for the way were doing this. All I have to do now is pop out the SL HD sleds and pop in the old system and aweee we go.

PS: MUCH to my astonishment MOTU actually had their act together and had up-to-date drivers for 424's and 2408 MK3's and 2's.

10. Markdvc

11. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Maybe it wants you to update PACE, not the plugins?
  12. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

Right but when I update PACE and they tell you if the problem persists then they ask you to contact each manufacturer of each plugin. In my case that would be a lot of letters. Ah. Is ok. I swapped out all SL items and went back to Tiger for now.