Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic 9.1.5 released

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Colin Shapiro, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Colin Shapiro

Colin Shapiro Senior member

3. charlie

charlie Senior member

Seems like this update was in the works before Lion dropped and is fine for us Snow Leopard folks...

4. scottmach

scottmach New Member

I have 9.1.3 Do i have to install 9.1.4 before 9.1.5 or is it a combo update?

5. Colin Shapiro

These are not like OS updates. You should be fine to simply install 9.1.5 over 9.anything.

6. David51

David51 Senior member

No install of 9.1.5 over 9.1.4?

Hi Colin, I tried to install 9.1.5 over 9.1.4 and was informed by the install pkdg I didn't need it, could this be because I am still using 32 bit in 10.5.8?

7. Colin Shapiro

Strange...

I installed 9.1.5 over 9.1.4 (and I also use 32 bit, though I think that's irrelevant).
    I run OS 10.6.8, but that also shouldn't matter as the Apple website says that 10.5.8 is the minimum system requirement.

8. charlie

charlie Senior member

It sounds to me like an OS issue since he got the message via the Installer about the update "not being necessary..."
    I'd be curious if anyone else running 10.5.8 had a similar experience.
    Still odd being that Apple says Logic 9 is fully compatible with 10.5.8 thru Lion.

9. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

10. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks Mark, I have had no problems like this until now. The HD in my 2007 iMac is full so I Boot from an external 1TB HD via firewire 800. The Logic app versions are all on the external boot HD. As I was checking this out I did see that Logic 9.1.4 had installed its' self with the name "Logic Pro.app" I thought that was the problem and I changed the name to "Logic Pro 9.1.4" still get the message that there must be at least a Logic pro 9 in the Applications folder, I made an alias of 9.1.4 and put it in the external boot HD app folder but still can't install 9.1.5,could it be that the installer only looks at the internal HD? Why then have I been able to install the other Logic updates? Should I ask this in the Apple logic pro forum?

11. Eli

Eli Senior member

Bingo; there's your problem! You cannot rename the current version of the Logic Pro app as it appears in your Applications folder. It must exist with the default name n order for the update installer to recognize it. You've renamed it, so the installer isn't seeing it. Revert the name to the default (without 9.1.4 appended to the end) and try running the installer again.

12. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks Eli, I just wasted 30 minutes on the phone to Ireland and the Logic guy there was stumped too He did have me remove the 9.1.4 as you said, but still no joy. Do you know if the installer is looking at the app folder in the boot HD or the app folder in the Finder when I click on my name? Because that app folder is empty. I will try to add some images that make it more clear:
    Ran out of time to upload images, will do it tomorrow.

13. Eli

Eli Senior member

It needs to reside in a folder called Applications, which must be at the root level of your system hard drive. I think alias' should work (not certain though), but this pathway needs to be respected.

14. Colin Shapiro

Mark and Eli said it - don't rename your apps.

If you like to keep old versions, they can be renamed (eg Logic vx.x), but never change the names of currently running apps. Installers can't know what you've decided to change the name to, so they simply throw up error messages.

15. Eli

Eli Senior member

I like George Leger's suggestion for keeping older versions. Compress the file into a zipped archive. And then rename the zipped file with 9.1.4 in the name. And your original then remains there intact, uncompressed, and ready to be updated.

16. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks again Eli and all others, is this not in the right place?
    [​IMG]
    Logic is in the app folder in the boot drive along with system, users etc.

17. Jonathan Stapleton

Jonathan Stapleton New Member

I may be mistaken, but it looks as if there's a space between "Pro" and ".app": that may be causing your problem.

18. David51

David51 Senior member

Dear Sir, you have found the problem and solved it, I cannot possibly thank you enough!

19. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

I seem to be getting system overload messages since updating.

I'll revert to 9.1.4 and see if that fixes it.

-EDIT-

Nope - my bad, sorry.

Something in my latest project is causing it.

-EDIT 2-

An audio track with a 3 take folder. Bounce in place appears to have fixed it.

20. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Wow - that's not what you'd think would normally bring a CPU to its knees....:eeek:

21. Jonathan Stapleton

Jonathan Stapleton New Member

I was getting regular system overloads with 9.1.4, often on ridiculously lightweight projects. I hoped 9.1.5 would fix this, but in fact the only thing that seems to help with both 9.1.4 and 9.1.5 is to have the Activity Monitor app constantly open, as suggested by, I believe, George on another thread.

The Activity Monitor display will often flatly contradict what Logic's own system resource meter is saying, and seems to give a much better representation of how well the computer is coping.