Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic 9.1.8 crashing with Yosemite

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Voice Man, May 7, 2015.

1. Voice Man

Voice Man Member

MacBook Pro (17 inch, late 2011), OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Logic Pro 9.1.8, Apogee Duet Firewire

Hi Everybody,
    I’ve looked here on the LUG and elsewhere and can’t find a clear cut answer. I’m a voice actor and can’t work because of this problem:

I recently upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3 from Lion (I think it was 10.7.3). Since then I’ve had no trouble recording on Logic Pro 9.1.8. -- Until today. I can launch a new project, name it, but when asked to save it to a destination Logic crashes. I tried opening an old project and it opened. I recorded a test track there, edited it, but when I went to bounce the track, Logic again crashed. Most fixes are way above my head. Some suggestions on posts include removing LP9 preferences and reinstalling 9.1.8 but I haven’t tried those. I did try unchecking the “open in 32 bit” box but that didn’t work and there doesn’t seem to be a way to change to 64 bit. I've removed and, restarted, and that didn't work. I haven't upgraded the Duet software to Yosemite, yet.

I’m discovering that my best recourse is to upgrade to LPX 10.1.1.

My questions are these: (1.) Is there a fix for 9.1.8? (2.) If I upgrade to LPX will I lose my plug-ins, keyboard shortcuts, etc.? (3.) Will LPX allow me to use 9.1.8 so I can return to saved projects, or are 9.1.8 projects dead to me? I have Time Machine and an external drive, but going back to Lion to run old projects is daunting (and scary) to me.

I’ve attached a crash report.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

3. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I'm running 10.6.8 at home with LP 9 and at my working studio I have 10.10.3 and LP X, so maybe I can help. It's great to just work and not have to worry about whether the gear is going to behave, so it's always a good rule to not update anything until you've read up on compatibility issues!

That said, I'd strongly recommend updating your Duet driver to the Yosemite-compatible version - you likely only updated to 10.10.3 recently (it only came out recently) and an incompatible audio driver is as good a reason as any for LP 9 to crash.

LP X is great, although there's a bit of a re-learning curve because it feels largely unfamiliar for the first week or two. I can't say whether your plug-ins will all work because LP X will only work with 64-bit plug-ins and you may have some 32-bit plug-ins. If there are some that don't load, you have two options: see if the manufacturer of that plug-in has put out a 64-bi version, or buy bridging software like 32Lives or jBridge. (I just Googled those, I don't know if they're any good)

I have to report that my Yosemite system at work is as flaky as they come, with spinning beachballs, crashes and restarts every day, but I can't track down whether it's my Pro Tools software, hardware, peripherals, or brand-new trashcan computer that's at fault. It seems most stable running Logic (which makes sense, as it's all Apple then) but I'm really looking forward to the day that I can say my system is stable again. Hope your experience is better!
  4. Voice Man

Voice Man Member

Hi sonnykeyes,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate your input.

After days of research and experimenting it was becoming obvious that there is no fix to run LP9 on Yosemite, and your advice was the tipping point for me. So I’ve updated Duet, installed LPX, and made sure I also installed additional content so I can work with existing LP9 projects (which looks like it can be done with some finesse) and I’m ready to go. Just getting started and I can see that it will take a few days to get used to LPX, but I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t gotten to the point of checking on the plug-ins, but I’ll take your suggestions on the options. Hopefully Yosemite will cooperate. It’s a very disappointing OS.

Once again, thanks for your advice. As usual, the LUG comes through for me.
  5. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

Glad if I could help! If I could chime in here with two things I wish someone had told me:

1) Make sure "Show Advanced Tools" is checked in the Preferences, otherwise LPX seems to be missing all kinds of features longtime users are used to, and

2) Outside of LPX, if you routinely use the green button to expand windows to full screen, get used to holding the Option button while clicking, or you'll go into something called 'no distractions' mode that appears to be impossible to get out of.

Have fun with the substantially-better-sounding LPX!
  6. Voice Man

Voice Man Member

Thanks again man. Duly noted.