Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic 9 Bouncing Issue

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by JustMV, Jul 10, 2010.

1. JustMV

JustMV New Member

Hey guys, every time I bounce this song I'm working on in Logic 9, the bass and low end of my mix is much lower and not as punchy as what I'm hearing in the actual program... I'm running iZotope Ozone 3 over my already mixed and previously exported track to master it. This is not a problem in iTunes as the enhancements are all turned off and the problem occurs in my VLC player as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Hi...

A) What are your master fader levels at? If the fader is turned way up, you are loosing level on your bounce (unless you have the normalize box checked). OR you might have the bypass plug-in checked...

Are you bouncing real time or off line?

Are you sure the plug-in is setup properly?

A few things off the top of my head,

George Leger III

4. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

Every time I've gone to somebody's studio to troubleshoot this claim it turned out to be that they were making false comparisons (different outputs, or monitoring the live mix through effects but those weren't included in the bounce - or vice versa - for example).

5. JustMV

JustMV New Member

My master fader is at the default 0.0. I've tried bouncing in both real time and offline, both have the same effect. The normalize box is unchecked, and the effect is on the bounced track... It's only this one plugin that I'm using to master with (Ozone 3), and can tell that it is on in the bounce, just not like it is in the mix while still in Logic...

Thanks for your help.

6. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Try this:

Take a mix done in Logic, bounce it and reimport it back into the same session.
    Take your tracks (other than the new bounced track) and assign them to a single, unused buss (lets say buss 20).Then take the new track with your bounced mix, and assign it to buss 21.

Now you should have 2 versions of the what should be exact same thing.

Open the gain plug-in on buss 21's insert, and reverse the phase. Make sure both faders are at the exact same level.

You should hear nothing if you have done this correct. If not... what do you hear?

George

7. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Is audio file type the same? Bit depth and sample rate the same? Dithering used? What type?

Not sure I understand the statement......

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm exactly clear on what you are describing. This is what I understand you to mean; let me know if I have it right:

* You are bouncing a mix out in Logic.

* You then bring that mix into a Logic project and put Ozone on the main output to master it.

* You then bounce this to a new file.

* You then play back the new file in Logic and VLC Player, and it doesn't sound like it did before the bounce, when you had it on a track in Logic with Ozone on the main output?

* You play this track back in iTunes and it _Does_ sound the same as it did in Logic with Ozone on the main output?

Do I have this right??

9. JustMV

JustMV New Member

Thank you all for helping... georgelegeriii I tried the phasing trick and heard nothing, helping me isolate my problem. I read about certain enhancements in iTunes, and even though I did turn those off, my songs are being output differently in itunes then they are in other players. Anyhow, fixed my problem. The bounce is the same as it plays in Logic, just is tainted by some media players. Thanks guys! Out of curiosity, what's a professionally standard program to playback mixes once bounced?

10. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Logic and Soundtrack Pro, to mention two....

That said, you might try to play the mix in the program others will be listening to it on so you can hear it as they hear it.

Also, if you have iTunes coming out of your system audio and Logic coming out of a sound card, it will sound different due to the AD/DA converters.

11. Eli

Eli Senior member

Logic.

What I usually do after a final bounce is open a fresh Logic template - without saving it, and import the new bounce onto a clean arrange window track, with everything defaulted to unity gain; and listen to it there.

I eyeball the meters to make sure the final level is what I am expecting. I open it in the sample editor and check the DC offset. And I examine the beginning and end of the file there as well to see if there is any dead space to trim; or maybe adjust a fade out, if necessary etc.

Then finally, I open the audio bin and convert it to an mp3 from there - if necessary.