Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic 9 on the G5

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by seamadron, Feb 9, 2010.

1. seamadron

seamadron New Member

I am thinking of moving over to Logic 9 from Cubase. I currently own a dual 1.25 G4 running Tiger.

When I visit the Apple site, they say Logic 9 needs an intel mac to run (ie it won't run on a G5). Is this true? Also, will it run on Tiger or do I need Leopard?

The reason I would prefer a G5 to a new mac is that the PCI ports on the G5 are compatible with what I already own. A used G5 is also considerably cheaper.

Thanks for any advice on this.
  3. audioirony

audioirony New Member

Logic 9 on PPC (G5) is not officially supported, However:
    Versions 9 to 9.0.2 will run on a G5 - Universal Binary.
    The latest update 9.1 is Intel only.

FWIW - I run Logic 9.0.2 on a Dual 2.3 G5
  4. seamadron

seamadron New Member

Thanks - that's cleared things up nicely. Think I'll get a G5.
  5. lucytune

lucytune New Member

I am also running Logic 9.0.2 on a G5 dual 2GHz OSX 10.5.8, as a secondary machine.
    The downside is that the cooling fans are very noisy, even in the depth of a UK winter, and make it impossible to record in the same room as the big silver box, or even to mix satisfactorily anywhere near it.
  6. seamadron

seamadron New Member

Thanks Lucytune. That's useful to know. I really don't like the idea of a noisy machine in my control room. I've actually been reading a few posts on the logic users sites and there do seem to be some major problems with Logic 9. The general theme seems to be Logic 8 was much more reliable. Interesting that the people who have most negative things to say about it seem to be studio professionals ie people who have to work fast and above all, require a stable system. It's really made me think twice about moving over because, although my system is old, it's pretty stable and I can work quickly on it.